FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL1s mulitple time codes on one tape

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
klimvid
XL1s mulitple time codes on one tape
on Jun 30, 2006 at 1:09:55 am

I'm recording myself with an XL1s and then reviewing playback on a monitor using the remote controller and without removing the tape from the camera. This is working well except that when I went to capture the footage this evening I discovered that partway through two tapes (Sony 60min) the timecode started over from 0.00. What would cause this and how can I ensure it doesn't continue to happen? Thanks.

klimvid

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: XL1s mulitple time codes on one tape
on Jun 30, 2006 at 2:14:19 pm

The problem comes when you choose to playback a tape (for review) and then continue recording further on the same tape.

If you accidentally play "too far" (past the end of the recorded section of tape) during a review, the timecode will RESET as soon as the TC "runs out" on playback.

If you then go back into record (at that point on the tape), the TC will start at 00:00:00 again.

To avoid this, always (ALWAYS) record WELL PAST the end of your last "good section" during a recorded take.
Then "mark" the "end" by saying "STOP - STOP - STOP" or "END - END - END" or similar.
Then, when you review, make SURE you PAUSE the camcorder before the end of this "mark".
That way, you won't be rolling past the end of the TC.
Only THEN, switch the camera from "VCR" (Playback) mode into the "Camcorder" (Record) mode and continue on.

Return to posts index

klimvid
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:36:56 pm

Thanks, Matte, that explains it. One more question on this, say I do happen to run PLAYBACK into the black uncoded zone, if I then rewind onto coded tape before switching back to RECORD will the camera pick up from the previous timecode?

klimvid

Return to posts index

Matte
on Jul 1, 2006 at 3:29:01 am

[klimvid] "say I do happen to run PLAYBACK into the black uncoded zone, if I then rewind onto coded tape before switching back to RECORD will the camera pick up from the previous timecode?
"

Yes...
But to be SURE, you should rewind a bit, then PLAY the tape and PAUSE it before the TC runs out again.

Then switch to "camcorder" mode to begin further recording.

Return to posts index

klimvid
on Jul 1, 2006 at 1:47:58 pm

Thanks for your quick and thorough answers.

klimvid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]