FORUMS: list search recent posts

DOF vs Wide Angle

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Vincent
DOF vs Wide Angle
on Jun 10, 2006 at 4:05:28 am

If I'm not mistaken, Iwill get a wider deep of field with the 3x canon XL1 wide angle lens than with the 16X standard. I'd like to know if this will also hapen if I add a wide angle to my actual 16X lens (will I get a larger DOF?)

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: DOF vs Wide Angle
on Jun 10, 2006 at 10:43:06 am

yes.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jun 10, 2006 at 7:44:55 pm

It's Greater depth of field not wider. Check out http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dof2.shtml.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Jun 11, 2006 at 4:02:55 am

Its an interesting artcle.

But in PRACTICAL terms (especially in video) we are usually discussing more of a MACRO focus, where "everything in the shot" starting a few inches away from the lens... out to the moon on the horizon, at least APPEARS to be in focus in the shot (commonly called "greater depth of field").

This is the case with using a wide lens, either the lens ITSELF, or a WA adapter.

Using the term "wider" (to mean "greater") DOF is OK by me, in contrast to "narrower" (or "smaller") DOF.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jun 11, 2006 at 3:13:21 pm

Yes. I agree on both points. I just thought it was an interesting article. In truth, almost everything in most video shots are in focus enough to potentially be distracting, which to me is the real issue.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Jun 12, 2006 at 3:16:51 am

[eyecamiam] "In truth, almost everything in most video shots are in focus enough to potentially be distracting, which to me is the real issue."

Yes. I drives me crazy that the tiny CCD's used in lower-cost camcorders look very good... but trying to achieve a DIFFERENCE between foreground and background focus is nealy IMPOSSIBLE.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
the flip side
on Jun 13, 2006 at 5:15:10 am

The other day, I was shooting with an XL2 in an auditorium. It was a poetry performance piece. It was a last second request. I did not attend any rehearsal or get a chance to test my mic levels or pre-white balance. It was lit for stage not video and it was too dark for the XL2. The Cam had trouble white balancing. I zoomed in on a white card (I had discreetly placed on stage) when the stage lights came up. And it blinked forever. I opened up the aperture as much as possible. The background was more or less in the dark so that was not an issue. The camera was having trouble with auto focus as well, so I switched to manual. Very quickly I learned that as distracting as a wide/great depth of field is, keeping your subject in focus manually without rehearsal is not always easy, particularly with the small viewfinder screen flipped up that the XL2 gives you. I wear glasses so flipping the viewfinder back down is a little awkward though I got my best shots hunched over the viewfinder with my hands on the focus and zoom rings for slight adjustments. It was tiring. Still, when the subject was in focus and tight, and I finally got the camera to white balance, the shots were very nice, though stagnant. The performance utilized projected slides to either side of the solo performers. At some point, I

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]