FORUMS: list search recent posts

Short depth of feild with Canon GL2?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DerekKent
Short depth of feild with Canon GL2?
on Jun 2, 2006 at 1:54:34 pm

hello,
I know it's pretty common knowledge that getting a short DOP with digital is tricky, but i must admit, that beyond that 'buzzword', i don't know much about it..
i have a few lenses, a wide angle, a telephoto, a macro, filters, etc..
I am wondering what a pretty standard, foolproof way of getting a short DOP is with this camera?
thanks very much

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Short depth of feild with Canon GL2?
on Jun 2, 2006 at 5:52:56 pm

The smaller the imaging chips the tougher it is to achieve a shallow DOF. With the GL2 you'll need to open up the iris as wide as possible (lower F stop number). Use the camera's built in ND filter to conrol the amount of light coming in when the iris is wide open. If it's not anough you'll need to screw another one on to the front of the lens, such as when you're shooting outside on a sunny day.

Then you need to create as much distance as possible between the GL2 and the subject you're focusing on. Stand farther away and zoom in, the more zoom the better. Also try to keep as much distance as possible between the subject and the background. After doing all that the DOF will become more shallow and the background should go out of focus.

- Don

Return to posts index

Matte
on Jun 5, 2006 at 4:06:30 am

[Don Greening] "Then you need to create as much distance as possible between the GL2 and the subject you're focusing on. Stand farther away and zoom in, the more zoom the better. Also try to keep as much distance as possible between the subject and the background."

And we mean a LOT of distance.

Unless your're shooting in a GYM or huge hotel ballroom or the like, you'll probably NOT be able to get enough distance between the cam and the talent... and the talent and the background for the bkg. to go "soft" enough to actually make a difference.

Return to posts index

DerekKent
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:47:57 pm

can someone explain why this is?
what causes this situation?

it's just so strange :S!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]