FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't capture using XL2 AND G-Raid at the same time on firewire 800

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg1968
Can't capture using XL2 AND G-Raid at the same time on firewire 800
on Jun 1, 2006 at 8:11:56 pm

I can't capture from my XL2 while my G-Raid external drive is in use. I want to capture onto the G-Raid. I have both plugged into my firewire 800 capture card. However, I CAN get the XL2 to capture to my computer's hard drive when the G-Raid is not connected with no trouble.

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 on a PC, Windows XP Pro.

This may be a better question for Canon or G-Tech, but thought I'd try here also. Any ideas?

Thanks, Greg

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Can't capture using XL2 AND G-Raid at the same time on firewire 800
on Jun 2, 2006 at 7:07:36 am

Hi Greg,

First off, let me point out that I'm a Mac user and not a Windows person, so I can't give advice from a PC perspective. What I do know is that it's generally accepted that your camera should be on a separate firewire BUS from the hard drive your capturing to. For myself, my computer comes with FW400 and 800 but they both share the same BUS. That's where I plug my camera/deck into. I also have a FW PCI card that all my FW hard drives are plugged into. That's a separate FW BUS. Works like a charm. In a pinch I have connected my deck into the back of one if my FW drives for capturing purposes and it has worked, but it's not recommended to do that on a regular basis.

I've also heard about the odd problem in the past using Canon cameras as a deck connected to computers and have never heard whether or not the problems were resolved. Might I also recommend that you purchace an inexpensive one chip camcorder for use as a deck instead of wearing out the tape transport of your expensive XL2 by using it for capture purposes. Virtually any mini-dv camcorder with a firewire port will do. People use this method all the time and there will be no loss in video quality during the capture process.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]