FORUMS: list search recent posts

frame mode

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
garyl
frame mode
on Jun 1, 2006 at 6:26:36 pm

i have a XL1s an shoot mostly in frame mode and -3db. the reason being that i don't like the stark look of shooting in regular settings. my question is if i use magic bullet or cinelok to accomplish the look i like, should i still shoot in frame mode or should i use normal. thanks gary

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: frame mode
on Jun 2, 2006 at 6:06:35 am

[garyl] "should i still shoot in frame mode or should i use normal."

If it was me I'd shoot clean (normal interlaced mode) and do any effects in post. That way if you don't like the look of the applied effect in post you can always hit "undo" and try something else.

The other reason to shoot interlaced is that a certain amount of resolution is lost in frame mode because the two fields are combined in-camera before the picture is recorded to tape, which is quite different from true progressive mode such as the XL2.

If you already own programs like Magic Bullet or Cinelook then by all means use those with your NLE to achieve the look you want. If you don't have them yet, and also own a Mac may I suggest looking at the film effects plugins from http://www.nattress.com. Graeme's plugins are very inexpensive and are world-class. From his 'smart' deinterlace plugin to a ton of film effects his website is well worth a look.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]