Frame mode and capture

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd
Frame mode and capture
by
on May 23, 2006 at 3:36:27 am

Hey all,

Well, I realised that shooting in frame mode really wasnt so great, but whats done is done. So far it doesnt look so hot, but that might be my capturing of the footage.

I have the XL 1 and I understand its not true 30p. When I went to capture using Premiere Pro 2.0, I wasnt given the option to capture at 30p. Is this a problem? I had no choice but to capture at 29.97. Does this make a difference in quality? Is there anything I can do to get this footage to look better or is it because I'm viewing it on my pc monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Frame mode and capture
on May 23, 2006 at 6:15:29 am

[Todd] "I have the XL 1 and I understand its not true 30p."

You're right. What 30 "frame mode" does is combine the two interlaced video fields before recording the image to tape. Picture resolution does suffer somewhat when you shoot using this option. With 30p the "p" stands for "progressive" and only one full video frame is recorded without combining anything first. The XL1, XL1S and the GL2 don't have progressive scan CCD's and therefore can't produce a 30p image.

30p and 30f are in reality a 29.97 frame rate, so that's why you weren't given the option to capture @ 30 frames per second. It's a bit confusing, but everybody, including camera makers round off the 29.97 frame rate number to a nice even number of 30. What's more confusing is that when you shoot 29.97 interlaced it's referred to as 60i.

Footage shot at 30f won't look as smooth as if you'd shot at 30 interlaced because the 30f was designed to look more like the footage was shot on film. Some people like the look and others don't. You have to learn to shoot differently: no snap zooms or quick pans or else your footage will stutter or jerk.

For your future consideration, if you want to emulate the look of film or progressive scanning I recommend you shoot clean, meaning in 60i, then you can apply one of the many film effects plugins available for your particular NLE to achieve the look you want. If you don't like it you'll always have the option of hitting "undo".

- Don

Return to posts index

Todd
Re: Frame mode and capture
by
on May 23, 2006 at 11:56:14 pm

Thanks Don,

I really should've looked into this before I shot the entire day in Frame mode. I can't undo what I did because I filmed someone who is really busy and we did some shots that will be hard to do again. I've been fooling around aand achieving somewhat of a better look to it though. It was just disappointing and yes I should've stuck to effects and other techniques.

No I know!

Thanks,

Todd

Return to posts index

Todd
Actually Don, now that I...
by
on May 25, 2006 at 1:14:06 am

Hey Don,

I didn't like it at first, but in post Icolor corrected the scene by warming it up and reduced interlaced flicker then burned to dvd for a test...it looks GREAT! I'm pretty shocked. I dont know if it was the post tricks or the frame mode that made it look so good! I will probably use it agian now.

Todd

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Actually Don, now that I...
on May 25, 2006 at 2:09:45 am

Hi Todd,

Glad to hear that your post production tweaking has paid off. I know that there have been more than a few people that feel satisfied with the results of the GL2's fame mode and (whether they still do it or not) were using this preset all the time. One poster to the Canon forum here are the Cow used to use frame mode and the 16:9 setting together and always liked the result. Just keep in mind that frame mode loses resolution and so does the 16:9 setting compared to 60i. But in some cases I guess it all looks good, depending on what you're shooting.

- Don

Return to posts index

Shayne Weyker
More on frame mode and shooting for the web
on Aug 22, 2006 at 3:46:11 am

Hi.

I have Premiere Pro 1.0 and a cannon GL2. I want to eventally get used to shooting stuff in 30p frame mode when I know its destined for the web so I can save on the deinterlacing when encoding to WMV/MOV/FLV.

So I wanted to try capturing some footage shot in the GL2 Frame mode.

I set up a Video for Windows project, 30 fps, no field first/progressive, 30fps timecode.

And then captured manually after I start playing the tape.

But what I read above in this chain seems to say should I just set up the project and capture like it was plain NTSC-DV. Is that the right way?

And when I'm done what's the best format to export in to set up for web encoding? Uncompressed AVI?

Thanks,

--Shayne Weyker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]