FORUMS: list search recent posts

new camera

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
new camera
on May 4, 2006 at 5:48:49 pm

I've been shooting stuff for productions with a GL-2 and am about to make the big leap up to a DVX100-B. Do people have opinions about the relative merits of the DVX vs. Canon XL-2?

Two other questions:

1. People talk about the "flicker" inherent in shooting 24p vs. interlaced video. "Flicker" doesn't sound like a good thing--can someone explain what this looks like and/or point me in the direction of a sample, so I can see what they're talking about?

2. I capture my tape from a Sony clamshell into my computer and don't plan on transferring to film for any projects in the near future. Can someone explain to me (in basic terms) what the purposes are for the 24p Advanced vs. 24p Normal setting. I don't really understand what the various pulldown ratios associated with them mean--can someone explain to me what you'd use the different ones for?

3. I edit with PPro 1.5, use AE 6.5, and author in U-Lead's DVD Workshop 2--any conflicts or special settings to use in any of these apps for stuff shot with the DVX?

Thanks so much-
Ruby

Return to posts index

bmoede
Re: new camera
on May 5, 2006 at 1:37:31 pm

I have a new XL2 and have shot some test footage in 24p and 30i and 30p, I get flicker and odd strobing artifacts. I am unsing FCP 4.5 and I assume that I'm just not using the correct capture settings. Anyone have any ideas?

Bill Moede
CESA 7 ILS
Green Bay, WI

Return to posts index

Daniel E
on May 18, 2006 at 4:32:32 pm

Ruby,
A couple of things to watch out for. 24P is better if you are staying in the video realm. 24PA is if you are really going to edit at 24 and go out to film. The difference is in the way the frames are stored in the 60i stream. It is easier for the computer to pull out the advanced frames but the initial result has more stutter in the motion when looked at in 60i
If you are going the DVX-100b route and still want to use your Sony Clamshell for playback you better do a test. I have found Panasonic DVX-100A doesn't play back sound on my GVD-900 clamshell. There seems to be a difference in the way Panasonic does DV compared to Sony and Canon. My DSR-45 plays back both kinds of tape but not my clamshell.
As for the cameras the DVX-100B is more fun to shoot with than the XL2 or XLH1. Downsides are not being able to swap lenses, No true 16x9 (letterbox is 4x3 and squeeze is electronic)

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on May 18, 2006 at 9:07:30 pm

Hi Daniel--thanks for your response, and I have a couple more questions. I use my Sony (GVD-1000) clamshell to capture what I've shot into my computer, and sometimes as a little "monitor" at shoots so I'm not tied to the LCD screen side of my camera if I'm doing a 1:1 interview by myself. I can live without sound on the clamshell--but do you have problems simply playing the footage in it?

I'm not going to be going out to film any time in the forseeable future, so it seems that the 24p and 30p modes will serve my purposes just fine. Any thoughts on the use of 30p vs. 24p? I'm thinking less "flicker" on 30p, but am really pretty ignorant here.

Also, anything you've heard in terms of known issues or tweaks around editing the footage with PPro 1.5 and AE 6.5, and authoring DVDs containing this footage using DVD Workshop 2? These are the apps I'm using now and, while I know that the settings will all need to be changed to accomodate the progressive mode, I'm just wondering if there are any weird issues you've heard of.

Last, but not least, my stuff is not for broadcast. It's mostly going to be played on a pretty wide variety of set-top DVD players with a tv, and occasionally on computers. Have you heard of any issues playing DVDs that use progressive mode footage not being playable on older tvs or DVDs that don't have progressive scan? Sorry for so many questions, and thanks a lot!
Ruby Gold

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]