FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wider 16:9

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joker in the Pack
Wider 16:9
on Apr 24, 2006 at 6:10:44 am

Hi. Im shooting a feature length movie using a Canon GL2 & I'm editing using Final Cut Pro 5. I've set my camera to 16:9 in the menu setting but when I go to edit my test shots the footage isn't as wide as hollywood movies are. I'm wondering what I should do to make it the same aspect ratio as hollywood movies. Is there a short cut with the camera or does it need to be done in post production? If anybody knows the answer to my troubling issue and could offer some help that would be great.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Wider 16:9
on Apr 24, 2006 at 12:45:30 pm

IMHO, your best bet is to shoot in your camera's native 4:3 aspect ratio.
Then use the widescreen matt in FCP to suit your needs.
Once you have selected which matt to use, just compose your shots so that they fit the framing of the matt.
Good Luck!

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Apr 28, 2006 at 7:16:48 pm

"Hollywood" films are mostly shot with film that natively records aspect ratios of, say, 2.35:1. This is much wider than 16:9. Keep in mind: 16:9 is a ratio of width to height, and there is no such thing as "wider" 16:9. Ass mentioned, FCP does have a widescreen matte feature where you can basically cut off the top and the bottom to make it appear as wide as you like.

One more thing, the GL2's 16:9 is not true 16:9, so you're losing clarity in shooting it that way.

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

bmoede
on May 5, 2006 at 1:53:07 pm

By shooting in the 16:9 mode, you are not using the entire area of the CCD chips, so there is a bit less quality. However, if your final product is viewd on a NTSC TV, you won't see the difference. I shoot a lot of long form stage performance projects and have tried both the 16:9 camera mode and the FCP matte. I do a lot work so tieing up one of my machines with additional rendering time with the matte on 2 hour long projects is not an option.

Bill Moede
CESA 7 ILS
Green Bay, WI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]