FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL1s audio drift (again)

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gonzo Loki
XL1s audio drift (again)
on Apr 11, 2006 at 12:00:13 am

I know this has been discussed before but I am hoping for a few direct answers. I am experiencing noticeable audio drift with my footage. I am transferring my footage from an XL1s via firewire to a G5 using Final Cut 5. Will using another camera (non-Canon) as my deck fix this problem? What are my options for correcting this problem (other than capturing in short pieces)? Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XL1s audio drift (again)
on Apr 11, 2006 at 4:10:01 am

I would highly recommend you buy an inexpensive MiniDV palmcorder with a firewire connection for your tape capture into your computer. There will be no loss in quality. You don't need to wear out the tape transport of your XL1s by using it as a tape deck.

I use a small Sony camcorder for capturing all my footage for FCP5 without any sync issues. I've captured well over an hour of footage in one go without any problems with audio drift. The video footage is from my XL2, GL2 and Sony PD170. I think it's just a matter of making sure that your FCP capture presets exactly mirror what's actually on the tapes.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Gonzo Loki
on Apr 11, 2006 at 11:56:59 am

What am I looking for in the specs to make sure that the cheaper camera captures at full quality? I have been looking at a cheap Sony camera and I am wondering how cheap can I go and still get the capture quality? I greatly appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 11, 2006 at 4:21:41 pm

You can use any inexpensive MiniDV camcorder to capture your footage because you're simply using it as a tape deck and not to record anything. Once you've recorded footage with your aquisition camera you can transfer with the cheap one with no quality loss. For a test just borrow someone's MiniDV palmcorder, hook it up to your computer via firewire and you'll see what I mean.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Gonzo Loki
on Apr 13, 2006 at 2:22:25 am

Thanks for you help Don. It is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

bmoede
on May 5, 2006 at 1:58:11 pm

The problem is with FCP not the DV deck. I have an XL2 and have had the smame problem. I have found that I need to trash the FCP preferences file about once a month and clean off unused files from my capture drive.

Bill Moede
CESA 7 ILS
Green Bay, WI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]