FORUMS: list search recent posts

XLH1 can't zoom/rack focus simultaneously...

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spanky
XLH1 can't zoom/rack focus simultaneously...
on Apr 4, 2006 at 10:05:08 pm

I'm new to the Canon XL line; maybe this is an issue that has come up before with the stock lenses. In full manual mode, I was trying to simultaneously zoom in and rack focus from a background to a foreground element in a product shot. Zoom worked fine, but the rack focus wouldn't engage until I quit zooming- weird! Has anyone had this happen before or can they duplicate this; is there a workaround, or should I be shopping for another lens? Does Canon listen to issues like this and resolve them, or should I not even bother bringing it up with my rep?

Thanks in advance for your remarks!

MediaWorks, Inc.
Your Image is Our Mission; 'On Target' is Our Mantra; Satisfaction is Our Manifesto

Return to posts index

Daniel E
Re: XLH1 can't zoom/rack focus simultaneously...
on Apr 5, 2006 at 1:28:39 am

Sparky,
You are correct. Give yourself a cigar. This has been discussed on DV.Com and you are not crazy.
Canon seems to not understand that auto focus is not a substitute for manual focus while zooming. There is a way to preset two focus marks and zoom by the way.
If you are using the current lense this seems to be an undocumented feature.
Can't wait for Canon to come out with a new lens for the XLH1? The manual lens made for the XL2 is not bad on the XLH1 according to reports.
Please bring it up to your rep. Maybe they can reprogram something and disable this feature.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

Steven Bradford
Re: XLH1 can't zoom/rack focus simultaneously...
on Apr 9, 2006 at 2:58:03 am

Well that's annoying.

In any case, I can confirm that the XL2 manual zoom focus lens is slightly better anyways, at least in resolution and chromatic aberration, in our tests. I'm waiting till they either have a manual zoom package, or will sell the camera w/o lens before we buy more. Because otherwise we're rather impressed with the camera.

Steven Bradford
Collins College
Tempe Arizona

Steven Bradford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]