FORUMS: list search recent posts

XLH1 Presets needed

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FauxFilm
XLH1 Presets needed
on Mar 25, 2006 at 10:31:56 pm

Hey Gang...

In an effort to shoot at bit less 35mm film we have started shooting some with the XLH1 (with a P+S Technik Mini35 converter and Arriflex Zeiss cine lenses).

Canon of course keeps touting the camera's custom presets as a good way to achieve a cine look... but man, it's complicated. Gamma, knee, black stretch, pedistal, corring... and the list goes on and on.

What would be great is some guidance on making these adjustments. In a perfect world we could have some presets (or the numeric inputs for such) that would at least ballpark-replicate some different film stocks, but I have yet to find anything like that.

Has anyone come up with some adjustments that you are happy with that give a more cinema-like look?

Advice appreciated,
Todd

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XLH1 Presets needed
on Mar 27, 2006 at 4:24:45 am

I'd send your request to Don Berube at:

http://www.noisybrain.com/

He and his brother Daniel have been wringing out the XL-H1 for quite awhile now and may be willing to share the requested info with you. If anyone has been working on presets it'll be them. Can't hurt.

- Don

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Mar 27, 2006 at 6:16:17 pm

When setting up custom presets on a camera,
I find that starting with a chart, waveform monitor, vector scope, and a properly calibrated video monitor,
to be a great first step.

Return to posts index

steve
on Apr 5, 2006 at 2:23:20 pm

hi todd,

did you have any joy with your request?

I would be very interested to find out.

best regards

steve

Return to posts index

FauxFilm
on Apr 5, 2006 at 2:34:14 pm

Hi Steve...

Nope, not a peep. I'm still searching, also did write the person that Don Greening suggested but got no response. A database of good presets certainly would be an asset to XLH1 shooters who are actual filmmakers rather than videographers.

I haven't given the settings much attention lately. Have spent much of my time chasing lenses...I'm trying to find exactly the right set of Zeiss SuperSpeeds to get my hands on (Zeiss standards look great, but with the P+S Technik converter that extra smidge of light would make life a little easier... about one to two stops easier..ha).

Todd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]