FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL1 Audio Options

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnie Blayze
Canon XL1 Audio Options
on Mar 23, 2006 at 5:24:31 pm

I have a Canon XL1 and would like to know what are my options for capturing good audio. I recently shot a Church sermon and the audio sounded horrible because I had to use the on board microphone shooting from about 30 feet away. Audio sounded hallow and tiny and pickup everybody else from kids crying to people coughing. Anyways we tried to go line into the camera from a mixing board converting the XLR to RCA and mini, but no go. Do I have to buy MA-100 to get balanced audio into my camera or can use some other method. Just asking because I maybe shooting a commercial and would like to use a wired lav ECM77B mic and place a XLR to RCA or mini adapter onit.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Canon XL1 Audio Options
on Mar 26, 2006 at 4:20:05 am

[Johnie Blayze] "Anyways we tried to go line into the camera from a mixing board converting the XLR to RCA and mini, but no go."

What sort of problems were you experiencing when you tried to do this?

- Don

Return to posts index

Johnie Blayze
on Mar 28, 2006 at 2:49:58 pm

The problem I experience pluging line into the camera from a mixing board, was no sound at all. I tried different combination of pluging into the mini stero port at the front of the camera and pluging into the RCA ports on the back and side of the camera, changing menu settings. But still no audio. Just wondering if I actually need a MA-100 or Beachtek device to get balanced audio into the camera or audio period from a source besides the native mic on the camera. Sorry i replyed to this late. Didn't look like any one was gonna respond to it.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 29, 2006 at 5:33:08 am

You should have been able to hear something in your headphones from the house audio feed. Any audio source plugged into the RCA plugs of your XL1 should come through. When you cycled through the different channels using the audio monitor button on the XL1 you heard nothing at all? Whether the audio was too low or too high or not, you still should have heard something if you had everything set up right.

You need to do an audio test with an external battery powered mic. Before I bought my MA100 I used to plug a battery powered XLR mic directly into one of the 4 RCA inputs using an XLR to RCA adapter. The sound was always there. Take the time to re-read the audio section of your owners manual, starting at page 36 and make sure you've got the right things selected in the XL1's menu for recording/hearing audio from the RCA inputs. If you don't have a manual you can download the online version from Canon's site.

I'll watch this spot in case you report your findings.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]