FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does XL-1 send video out all ports simultaneously?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian
Does XL-1 send video out all ports simultaneously?
on Mar 13, 2006 at 7:17:10 pm

We are using the XL-1 to tape 45 minute teachings. The Imag screens are fed via the RCA video port while the DVD recorder is fed via the DV port. In other words,rather than using tape, the XL-1 is hooked up to a consumer DVD recorder. The deck has a firewire DV port that we connect the XL1 to. At first it shows the video feed ( visible on the downstream monitor), but after 5-7 minutes the video is lost and the deck stops recording.

As a workaround, we are using the SVHS port from the XL1 to the DVD recorder. It works fine, but obviously the quality is not as high and now we have to have separate audio cables as well.

Is this a bug with the XL1, or does the camera just not support simultaneous video out the DV port and RCA ports?

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Does XL-1 send video out all ports simultaneously?
by
on Mar 15, 2006 at 2:52:21 pm

[Brian] "Is this a bug with the XL1, or does the camera just not support simultaneous video out the DV port and RCA ports?"

Sounds like a camcorder and/or DVD deck CONNECTION problem.

The FW out, the S-Video, and the composite RCA outputs can ALL be used at once.
(Camcorder won't "know or care".)

You might have a bad (loose or intermittent) FW jack on the camcorder or deck,
or the DVD deck may have a glitch in its FW sensing circuit.

BYW, my DVD deck does not STOP if it loses its FW signal, it just continues to record a black image.

I'd try another DVD deck to see how it reacts.

If its still a no-go, I'd connect your camcorder's FW output to ANOTHER DV camcorder (so you can see the FW signal on the 2nd camcorder) and see if THAT set-up works.

Return to posts index

Brian
on Mar 16, 2006 at 12:04:07 am

I'll try the suggestions you made. Before we used our XL-1 we used our GL-1 (same cable - same deck), and it worked fine. That's why I was suprised that the XL-1 signal just dropped out. I'd go back to the GL-1, but we need to record audio from a sound board and use the XL-1 xlr adapter.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Mar 16, 2006 at 2:08:42 am

You can input from a sound board with a GL1.

You just need to use a MIC-level feed from the mixer and then adapt it down to a stereo "mini-phone-plug" (to fit the GL1's external mic input).

Find a local audio guy to help you... its a snap.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Mar 21, 2006 at 4:43:11 pm

are you sure the XL is not just timing out and going in to standby? Try putting in a dvtape and hit record

Return to posts index

Brian
Ok, here's my answer
on Mar 23, 2006 at 6:38:10 am

So I remember last week that we left the cassette door open as the XL-1 will time out and shut down. I think it actually made the camera time out and shut off the DV signal. Why? Becuase the camera remains on and still sends video out the RCA video out port that we send to our auxillar monitors for viewing in our Cafe are. This last week, I closed the cassette door (no tape in it either time) and it was fine. The signal went to both the RCA and DV port and the camera never turned off. Guess you just have to read the manual or keep learning by hard knocks. Thanks for the input though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]