FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL2 exposure and skin tones

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
GL2 exposure and skin tones
on Feb 23, 2006 at 4:41:14 am

If someone else has seen these problems, and figured out a solution, I would appreciate hearing about it.

1. When I zoom in for an exposure, hit the exposure lock button, and zoom out, the scene looks overexposed. Evaluating exposure on the LCD screen is extremely problematic. Auto exposure doesn't always seem to yield the correct exposure, even in scenes without wild variations in luminance.

2. Skin tones seem very harsh; there's little detail in the highlights. I'm using the tungsten color balance setting with tungsten lighting.

For both problems 1 and 2, it's almost as if the camera gets "contrasty."

I should note that these are interviews, shot with the exact same Chimera/reflector/backlight set-up that I have used successfully for years with Beta and DVCPro cameras. I don't expect a GL2 to be as good, but I would like to coax a better image from it, and I would especially like to figure out the exposure issues. I can't always be lugging around an NTSC monitor in the field.

-- Bob C.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: GL2 exposure and skin tones
on Feb 23, 2006 at 11:36:51 pm

Low-end Canon camcorders default to TOO MUCH "Sharpness".

To better-match my Sony PD-150, I need to turn the "sharpness" all the way DOWN on my Canon GL1.

If you zoom in and set IRIS, when you pull back the image will likely be to HOT with MANY camcorders.

Especially with "basic" lenses, a fully-zoomed-in lens NEEDS more light for proper exposure than the same lens at a wider zoom setting.

Set the IRIS on "normal" framing (not too tight, not too wide) and, of course, set the FOCUS on the teh tight-shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]