FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lense for Canon XL H1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
moldvarpan
Lense for Canon XL H1
on Feb 20, 2006 at 10:58:31 am

Few years ago I used the XL1 to shoot a short film, not with the original lense, but a better lense from Canon (can't remember which on it was). I'm wondering if this lense I used would work for the new XL H1?
Regards,
moldvarpan

Return to posts index

Daniel E
Re: Lense for Canon XL H1
on Feb 20, 2006 at 6:27:22 pm

The lens will fit on the camera but optically it might not be good enough if you are recording in HDV. Those lenses where only designed for NTSC or Pal and don't quite have the spec to work in 1080. Of course you can try it and see if you can live with it. I tried a Century Wide Angle adapter on the XL-H1 and it had all the issues the companies said it would but I still might use it to get the shot I needed. There isn't anything else available for the camera at the moment

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

moldvarpan
on Feb 21, 2006 at 8:59:06 am

Hello Daniel.
If I understand you correctly, the only lense that will work properly with the camera is the one that came with it? I find that weird since Canon is stressing the camera's ability to change lenses... But than that's only in theory I suppose. You can take the lense of and put the same one on again - what good is that?

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Feb 21, 2006 at 2:23:42 pm

I think Daniel is referring to the stock XL1 lenses - an EF adapter will allow you to use Canon prime lenses which will resolve enough detail

Return to posts index

Daniel E
on Feb 21, 2006 at 9:27:38 pm

So far the only zoom lens which is hi def capable is the one which came with the camera. If you want to use the manual lens made for an XL-2 or older Canon camera then you might see image defects from the lens. Soft corners and more color abberation are typical. This still might be your best option for shooting a particular shot.
Yes it does seem a little silly to have a removable lens when there is only one version of it delivered but they don't have the other products ready to ship. As for other manufacturers they need to see the device before they can test and make accessories for it. Apparently 1080 is not as easy to design for as 720.
Canon doesn't seem to have lined up other manufacturers before the release of the camera nor have they delivered a wide arrangement of accessories themselves first.
Once these issues are dealt with the flexibility of being able to remove the lens and put different optics on it will be a big plus.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

moldvarpan
on Feb 22, 2006 at 9:19:28 pm

Thank you Daniel for your input, a great help...
I might try the manual lense, just to see. I would then post the results on the forum.
Best regards,
moldvarpan

Return to posts index

Rennie
on Mar 2, 2006 at 9:23:53 am

Canon has always offered several lenses for their interchangable lens cameras starting with the L1 Hi-8 camera. They typically offer a mild wide angle zoom (about 3x) and a radical long range zoom (around 20x like this one). These long focal length zooms are pretty difficult to use for interiors especially if you're shooting events where pausing to change a lens is impossible. The wide angle zoom is a great peice of glass but it can be very restrictive too if you are shooting live action. The L1 had an 8mm - 120mm lens on it (1/2" ccd) which pretty much meant you needed the wide angle lens a great deal of the time. One thing Canon can and does do well (after over 100 years) is make glass. I just wish they could keep the bayonette mounts consistent and make a mid-ranged zoom. The 20x is 38.9mm x778mm (in 35mm land), and the wide is around 24mm-72mm so how about a 28mm - 350mm or a 30mm - 375mm. Canon's probably going to make a doubler anyway.

Return to posts index

hdfilmmaker
on Mar 7, 2006 at 10:13:45 pm

Zeiss has 5 prime lenses that will work on the H1. And P+S have a telnick adapter that will allow you to use 35mm film lenses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]