FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL-2 and BeachTek DXA-4P---Anyone used this combo?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Duncan
GL-2 and BeachTek DXA-4P---Anyone used this combo?
on Feb 19, 2006 at 6:44:15 am

I need to get away from the MA-300, and I'm considering the BeachTek DXA-4P to connect the Sennie shotgun and wireless receiver in their own channels. My question is this: When the DXA is plugged into the 1/8" input, will the GL-2 still auto-level the audio coming in both channels? I find the audio auto-leveling very useful and would hate to lose it b/c I'm not using the hot shoe. Anyone have any firsthand info on this?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: GL-2 and BeachTek DXA-4P---Anyone used this combo?
on Feb 20, 2006 at 2:13:56 am

[Luke Duncan] "My question is this: When the DXA is plugged into the 1/8" input, will the GL-2 still auto-level the audio coming in both channels?"

Short answer: I think so.

I just used a GL2 with the Studio1 equivalent to the BeachTek, plugging two sources into the 1/8" input. I used manual level for the most part, but I did switch to auto occasionally, and it appeared to change the levels from the manual setting.

btw, I noticed some occasional sensitivity to noise, depending on where I placed the Studio1 adapter. I wound up holding the Studi1 adapter box for some shots. Of course, I had a lot of wires lying around (teleprompter, lights, two mics, lots of power cables), and mic wire noise is not uncommon even in straight XLR-XLR situations.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Luke Duncan
on Feb 20, 2006 at 4:04:21 am

Cool, Bob. Thanks for responding. Anyone else have any experience with the auto-leveling of audio coming in through the 1/8" jack? And how about the noise like Bob describes? Any of that, and how do you deal with it?

Return to posts index

Alexander
on Feb 21, 2006 at 7:51:32 am

[Luke Duncan] "ny of that, and how do you deal with it?"

Soundtrack Pro

Cheers
Alexander

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 23, 2006 at 4:33:10 am

[Alexander] "Luke Duncan] "ny of that, and how do you deal with it?"

Soundtrack Pro"

True, but avoiding the problem is so much better; you don't always have the time, and if you have the time, you still can't always fix these things in post. imho, if you are recording irreplaceable audio, esp. with devices like the Beachtek/Studio1 (which probably create other avenues for noise), you really need to wear headphones all the time. Regarding these adapters, it's probably a good idea to remember that "pro" mixers cost much much more.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Feb 22, 2006 at 12:59:12 pm

The camcorder does not "know" what kind of source you are sending to the external mic input (as long as its at "mic-level" everything will be fine).

So any feature that works with "just a mic" plugged in (or NOT plugged in, as in using the built-in on-camera mic) will work with whatever is connected to that input jack.

So, yes, the auto-level will still work with a Beachtek or other adapter/pad/accessory.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]