FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon GL2 mic input

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Canon GL2 mic input
on Jan 30, 2006 at 2:29:21 pm

I would like to use XLR mics and cables, and run them into the mini plug on the front right part of the GL2. I would appreciate advice from somebody who's "been there."

What sort of mini plug should I be using? I gather that the mini mic input is a stereo input. So should I try to find an adapter that goes from two female XLRs to stereo mini plug? Would a mono mini plug be as good, if I'm only trying to input one mic?

Do I need an expensive adapter, or would a cheap mechanical adapter be as good? I've read about Canon's MA-300 adapter, Beachtek's DXA-4P, Studio1's XLR-BP, but there are also very inexpensive straight adapters; if all I'm connecting is a mic, would the cheap adapters be just as good?

Thanks!

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Canon GL2 mic input
on Jan 31, 2006 at 8:49:37 pm

HI Bob,

Yes, you can make a trip to some place like Radio Shack and make up cables for your XLR mic that will connect with your GL2's stereo mini plug. You can get an XLR adapter that goes from female XLR to a mono mini plug for the mic end. Then get a cable with mini plugs on both ends. Buy a mono to stereo mini plug adapter to connect everything to your GL2. I've got the exact same setup that I used to use so I know this is all doable from the Radio Shack parts bins. Just make sure that your mic has its own power supply, because the GL2 can't send 48v phantom power to it.

The downside to doing it this way is all the fiddly bits you need to buy to get your cableing made up. But the really big headache is the side loading on the GL2's less than robust mini plug recepticle from all that heavy cableing dragging on it like a lifetime of tar and nicotine. Be darn sure you provide adequate strain relief for the GL2's mini plug connection or you'll ruin the internal spring clips. The ulitmate would be a 90 degree stereo mini plug adapter right out of the camera, just like the ones used on that Beach Tek piece you mentioned.

- Don

Return to posts index

Al McPhee
on Feb 2, 2006 at 5:26:57 pm

There is an issue with impedance differences. You should pick up Audio Technica's CP8201 Microphone Impedance Matching Transformer. I got them here in Canada for $18, they should be cheaper in the US. I did find them a bit clumsy as one must use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, as well as bring 2 mono leads into the GL2 stereo input. To solve this I stole the transformers out of the CP8201 and made up a box with 2 XLRs on one side and 2 1/8" female mono on the other. Works great, but with anything on the GL2 you have to keep it a distance from the tape mechanism or you get an interference drone. I place my box on the tripod or on my waist if mobile.
I also found out how to build a cheap Line Level to Microphone adapter at discovercircuits.com. You'll need this if you want to connect your camera to the output of a mixer.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 3, 2006 at 4:14:33 am

[Al McPhee] "There is an issue with impedance differences."

Thanks!

Is the impedance difference issue addressed by Remote Audio's adapter, model CAMCXY? "Includes DC voltage blocking capacitor." (I'm told you can see it at http://www.remoteaudio.com/cables.htm but I haven't been able to get their website to come up.)

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Daniel R
on Feb 25, 2006 at 1:01:27 am

Save your self some effort and get the Beachtek's DXA-4P ..works great and it is very affordable .

Regards
Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]