FORUMS: list search recent posts

My audio connection is bad at the camera?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tblakejunya
My audio connection is bad at the camera?
on Jan 27, 2006 at 2:42:57 pm

I have a conon gl2 and i love it. my only problem is that when i go to connect my external mike the right side will not come through. but when i pull the connection out right before it switches back to the internal mike the right side will work fine. the problem is that unless you physically hold it in that exact spot it will pop out and switch to the internal mike. is there anything i can do to fix this on my own?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: My audio connection is bad at the camera?
on Jan 28, 2006 at 5:37:52 am

The 1/8th mini-plug jack on the GL2 is a poor link in the audio chain. These types of connections are prone to failures because of the weak spring clips that are supposed to push against the mini-plug when inserted. With repeated use, the spring clips get weaker and weaker until the connection becomes intermittant or it fails completely. Another issue that adds to the problem is long mic cabling that creates side loading on the mini-plug jack and causes further weakening of the spring clips. The same thing is true for the headphone jack, or any 1/8th inch mini-plug jack for that matter.

If your camera is not under warranty then my suggestion is to take it in to a good repair facility and have them replace the min-plug mic jack. They may be able to simply bend the spring clips back so the connection is better, but usually replacing the components is the best fix.

To prevent this from happening again you need to have a min-plug cable custom made with a 90 degree plug at the camera end to eliminate side loading, with the appropriate adapter at the other end for your actual mic cable. It's far cheaper to replace the mic cable from lots of use than it is to replace the GL2's mini-plug jack. Buying Canon's MA300 XLR adapter might be an option for you. This way you don't need to use the mini-plug at all.

Or you can get one of these:

http://www.beachtek.com/dxa4p.html

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]