FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy audio from Canon GL2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MacDave
Choppy audio from Canon GL2
on Jan 16, 2006 at 7:15:52 pm

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and relatively new to DV. I have a Canon GL2 and am operating on a Mac Dual 2G under Mac OS 10.4.3. I'm capturing using either iMovieHD V 5.0.2 or Final Cut Pro V 4.5. My problem is that I can't get clean audio when I capture from the cam. It is either choppy or completely broken up. Is anyone else having this problem? Is ther a fix?

V/R
MacDave

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Choppy audio from Canon GL2
on Jan 17, 2006 at 5:31:26 am

Has your setup worked okay in the past or have you had this audio trouble right from the start?

Just so I'm understanding you, you're saying that the audio sounds okay from the camera but it all goes south when you capture to Final Cut Pro? If this is indeed the situation, then the first thing I'd suggest is borrowing any type of firewire equipped camcorder and trying to capture from that using the same source tape. If that works then there's an issue with the FW connection at the GL2. If it doesn't work, then try a different FW cable. After that, try looking for a computer problem. This might be harder to track down, but since it's happening with both iMovie and FCP try looking for a problem that would be common to both programs affecting only the audio input.

- Don

Return to posts index

MacDave
on Jan 17, 2006 at 11:07:11 am

Don,
Thanks for the return post. The problem has been there from the start. It's the first video I've shot with my brand new GL2. To answer your question yes the audio sounds ok when played on the camera but goes south when I try to capture. I'll have to see if I can get another FW camera and try it. I've tried the SW route and you are right it is quite dificult. The audio is clear and continuous when I capture using the composit video and my Hollywood DV bridge. which tells me the tape is good. It does not, however, rule out a SW problem with Final Cut or iMovie. I'll se about borrowing another mini DV camera and post back. By the way Canon wants me to send the camera back so they can check out the FW port. It will only cost me shipping one way and will only take 7 to 15 business days to do.

V/R
Dave

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 18, 2006 at 12:15:58 am

I just found something else you might want to research before you ship your GL2 off to the repair facility. I tmight be worth a shot.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301852

- Don

Return to posts index

MacDave
on Jan 18, 2006 at 10:44:14 am

Don,
Thanks! I will give it a try after work :( and let you know if it helps. I'm also trying to get a borrowed mini DV camera to capture from and test the HW/SW. I'll post back.

Dave

Return to posts index

MacDave
on Jan 20, 2006 at 12:51:23 am

Don,
I finally got the chance to run some tests with another camera and mine side by side and it easily pinpointed the problem to the FW port on my brand new Canon GL2. So i guess it's off to New Jersey with my GL2 for 7 to 15 business days. I just hope this is not indicative of the quality of the Canon product.

Thanks for all your help,
Dave

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 20, 2006 at 12:54:34 am

[MacDave] "I just hope this is not indicative of the quality of the Canon product."

It shouldn't be. I haven't had a lick of trouble with my GL2 at all, and it's been going on 3 years since i've had it. No trouble with any of my Canon cameras for that matter.

- Don

"I never knew the true meaning of happiness until I started shooting DV. But by then it was too late."

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Jan 22, 2006 at 8:57:59 am

Hi Don & MacDave,

I also have a problem with my Canon GL2. After I had it cleaned 6 months ago, I'm getting these artifacts and noise in my footage. It plays back find over the LCD screen. I capture the footage into Sony Vegas 6c and notice the artifacts and noise throughout the timeline. My GL2 is roughly 2 years old. I use Maxell tapes and only use them once, never twice. I bought a new fire wire cable and that didn't resolve the problem. Next is sending the GL2 back to Canon and see what they have to say. I made a 1 minute movie showing the artifacts and noise if anyone is interested in viewing it. I'll need your e-mail address because I don't know of any other way to show it. I'm glad that I'm not the only one going crazy.
If interested send me a message and I'll reply.

Thanks,

Ralph Hajik
Canon GL2
welovetotravel1985@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 23, 2006 at 4:37:55 am

Perhaps you could borrow a consumer DV camcorder with firewire and try capturing some of your source tape that way. If you're still having picture problems then you know it's the computer. If not, then it'll be a problem with the GL2. FYI it's not really a good idea to use your aquisition camera as a deck, as things like the tape transport will wear out much more quickly and you'll find yourself without a working camera when you need it. Some folks will go out and buy a cheap consumer DV camera and use that instead. There will be no difference in capture quality and when it wears out just get rid of it and get another one.

You're welcome to send me that 1 minute clip if you wish. My email is:

greening@shaw.ca

- Don

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Jan 27, 2006 at 8:03:57 pm

Hi Don,
I didn't forget you. I tried to e-mail you with the footage, but I was getting mail failure notices. I did what you told me. I have a couple of problems. First problem is my Dell P3. Apparently Vegas6c is to much for it to handle. My Capture dialog boxes freeze up and I have to reboot a lot or it's a hardware problem. Second problem, I was getting atrifacts and noise in my footage after I had my Canon GL2 cleaned by Canon on the East coast. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I thought it was the Maxell tapes I use from Sam's club. I never use a tape twice nor do I switch brands. I went to Sam's and purchase a cheap JVC camcorder just to download my footage into Vegas6c. I played it back on the timeline and now I have no artifacts or noise. My problem has to be at the DV in/out connection port on my Canon GL2. That problem is now solved and now I have to get a new computer.

Thanks Don for the suggestion on the camcorder.

Ralph Hajik

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 28, 2006 at 5:06:07 am

Hi Ralph,

If you were trying to email a one minute clip at full size (720x480) then your email would indeed be rejected because the file size would've been around 250 Mbytes. Next time I'd suggest exporting your clip at a smaller size such as 320x240, which will probably lower the file size to less than 20 Mbytes. Actually, a frame grab from the video would've probably been good enough.

Sorry to hear about the DV out problems with the GL2. You and Dave are the first ones I've heard about that've had these types of issues. There's a lot to be said for only using your aquisition camera for just that, and leaving the tape deck/transfer duties to a less expensive camcorder. Easier on the wallet.

- Don

Return to posts index

genevieve
Sony Handycam as DVdeck will read DVCam shot from PD150
on Mar 2, 2006 at 7:43:10 pm

If you're going to buy a miniDV for a deck the Handycam is good because you can also import footage shot in DVCam mode from the PD150/170 etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]