FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL H1 and manual lenses

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Inc
Canon XL H1 and manual lenses
on Jan 5, 2006 at 9:13:27 pm

Can I interchange my manual lens that I use on my XL2 with the new Canon HDV camera? What about the Canon wide angle lens?

Thanks.
Nick

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: Canon XL H1 and manual lenses
on Jan 6, 2006 at 6:17:19 am

this might answer ?

Although the standard definition 20x L IS lens and other Canon XL video lenses can be mounted on the XL H1, Canon recommends against this practice as those lenses will not properly resolve for HD. The earlier EF adapter for the Canon XL series is of course fully compatible with the XL H1, and most of the Canon EOS line of 35mm still photography lenses may be used for HD, the caveat being a 7.2x multiplication factor which renders most all EOS lenses to an extreme telephoto field of view. There are no initial plans to offer the XL H1 body and 20x HD lens separately; for now they may be purchased together only as a full kit. Canon states that it will not comment on future products, leaving the question of additional XL HD lens options up in the air.

There are no plans to offer a 1/2-inch lens adapter; standard broadcast HD video lenses may not be used on the XL H1 without serious modification anyway, as the grip handles on those lenses would physically interfere with the grip handle built into the XL H1 body. The P+S Technik Mini35 converter and a variety of other emerging 35mm image converter solutions are indeed as viable with the XL H1 as they are on the XL2 and previous XL-series camcorders.

also see page 147-148 of user manual

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Nick Inc
on Jan 6, 2006 at 5:00:06 pm

Thanks much!

Dual 1.25gig G4, 2 gigs of ram, tiger, FCP 4.5, XL2, Sony dsr-45 over FW.

Return to posts index

Bob Glover
on Jan 21, 2006 at 11:17:52 am

Hi there,

We did some test with a proper colour chart and a resolution chart.
We performed test with Standard new 20 x lens for XLH1; The Canon 16x and Canon 14x lenses that I bought for use on my XL1, XL1s and XL2.
We recorded in HDV with 50i, f1 and f2 modes.
We viewed HD images on a JVC DT-V1910CGE HD CRT monitor and Dell 2405 LCD and Sony 1440 for downconverted SD images via Matrox Axio.

Here's a quick summary of what we found.

The 20 x is a more sensitive than the other lenses.
The 20 x has marginally less than the 16x
The 14x has less resolution than the other 2 and probably should only be used in SD mode.

There was less resolution on the right hand side of the picture than the left on all 3 lenses on all monitors.

Besides the sensitivity, it appeared the 16x was slighly "blue" in colour balance compared to 20x.

Good news for me is I can use my 16x on the XLH1, but the 20 x is a really good lens (except forits electronic focus).

Still waiting for any comments on the "definitive answer on SDI out"

Bob Glover
Edit Solutions
Perth Western Australia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]