FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up tapes with DVD burner?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin C.
Backing up tapes with DVD burner?
on Nov 26, 2005 at 6:37:59 pm

I threw up a post while back about best way to make copies of my mini DV tapes. And it was suggested to buy additional camcorders.

But just noticed that several of the new DVD burners come with FW ports to burn DVD straight from your camcorder.

Would this method of backup be as pristine and "ok" way, than if you did a camcorder to camcorder backup? thanks.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Backing up tapes with DVD burner?
on Nov 28, 2005 at 1:22:55 pm

Nope.

The DVD format (standard "video" DVD) uses much more compression than DV.
It would re-compress your DV files to a much smaller (and lossy) size.

Consider that an hour of DV is about 13 GB and a MULTI-hour DVD is only 4.7 GB (it can be multi-layered, but still its a highly compressed file).

You want a straight "numbers-to-numbers" clone of the tape if you want it to retain its full quality.

A FireWire between two camcorders or decks is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Kdawg
on Dec 5, 2005 at 3:59:40 pm

I would just transfer via firewire, then burn on disk in avi format, it takes two DVD's for one tape, but I cannot see quality loss. I would still keep original tapes.

Return to posts index

Kevin C.
on Dec 10, 2005 at 10:40:48 pm

thanks Matte:

Damn, someone was over, and said that would be ok. And it's so much nice to have lot of backup in large CD case than have all these more expensive mini DV all over the place. You can see the difference?

Kdawg, what are you saying? transfer to a DVD deck or to burner? what is avi?
( I was talking about the very convenient DVD Burners you can get for your TV set)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]