FORUMS: list search recent posts

"skips" and weird artifacts in audio/video shot with GL2 and GL1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
"skips" and weird artifacts in audio/video shot with GL2 and GL1
on Nov 10, 2005 at 11:42:19 pm

Lately, I'm noticing that there seem to be more little "skips" or strange artifacts in either the audio or video of my captured clips that I've shot with my GL2 and GL1. I'm capturing and editing with PPro 1.5.

I know that this is a recognized problem with digital video, but it's really a drag. Does anyone know of any way to prevent this? Does it have anything to do with the camera needing cleaning or anything like that? Thanks a lot for any help/advice.

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: "skips" and weird artifacts in audio/video shot with GL2 and GL1
by
on Nov 13, 2005 at 1:07:22 pm

[Ruby Gold] "Does it have anything to do with the camera needing cleaning or anything like that?"

You might want to have the camcorders' heads "wet-cleaned" professionally.

BTW, what brand of tape are you using?

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on Nov 13, 2005 at 5:58:53 pm

Thanks--yeah, I came to the same conclusion and sent it to Canon to have it serviced. I figure even if cleaning isn't the issue causing the artifacting, it couldn't hurt to have it serviced (I've had it about 15 months).

I use Fujifilm--any opinions on that tape?

thanks-
Ruby

Return to posts index

Matte
on Nov 13, 2005 at 8:10:13 pm

[Ruby Gold] "I use Fujifilm--any opinions on that tape?"

Rather strong negative ones.

Of all the DV tapes I've used, the Fuji's have had the most problems.

I never have any head-clog problems (like the ones you described) UNLESS I'm using a Fuji.

I use mostly Panasonic (the least expensive consumer tapes they make).

I have run HUNDREDS of these in a Canon GL1 and a Sony PD150... with zero problems!

I got some Fuji tapes at another location where I do some work, and BANG... "head-clog city".
Not ALWAYS... just enough to make me steer clear in the future.

I recommend the Panasonic DV tapes.
From my limited research they seem to be the top choice of many DV shooters (and the price is VERY affordable).

Here's an example from ebay (I have bought many BRAND NEW tapes via ebay).
I'm not recommending this particular seller (as I don't know him) but the price is typical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Panasonic-Mini-DV-Tape-20-MiniDV-Tapes-USA-NEW_W0QQi...

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on Nov 14, 2005 at 5:35:13 pm

Thanks Matte. I'd never heard negative stuff about Fujifilm before. I've been using their DVD media and mini-DV tape for several years now. I guess I won't know if "clogged heads" is what's causing the artifacting until I hear from the Canon facility, but if so, and if Fuji is known for that, seems that it wd be a good time to switch tape brands. Know anything about Sony Premium tapes?

Two more questions:

1. Have other folks had similar issues with Fuji Film, and does anyone know any websites where users compare mini-dv tape brands for performance/problems (such as the site at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia where users compare/rate DVD media)?

2. I use a Sony clamshell (GV-D1000) firewired to my PC to do all my capture so as to avoid wear and tear on my camera. If I switch tape brands--do you think that wd cause problems on the clamshell (similar to switching tape brands in your camera?).

All responses appreciated. Thanks-
Ruby

Return to posts index

Matte
on Nov 14, 2005 at 9:43:51 pm

[Ruby Gold] "I use a Sony clamshell (GV-D1000) firewired to my PC to do all my capture so as to avoid wear and tear on my camera. If I switch tape brands--do you think that wd cause problems on the clamshell (similar to switching tape brands in your camera?)."

So do I. The deck works fine with whichever tape I put in it (Fuji is the only exception... and not ALL Fujis give me a problem every time).

That "changing brands" worry is far from a GIVEN.
It has been repeated "advice" for so long that it has become a video "legend".

You can choose to observe it or not.
There're plenty of folks who swear its a FACT and simply will NOT interchange brands... and others who pay no attention to it and use whatever.

I use Panasonic and Sony, back and forth all the time, in all my DV gear in several locations. And I don't ever have a problem.

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Dec 2, 2005 at 6:57:26 pm

Hi Ruby,

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem with the Canon GL2. I use Maxell DV tapes all the time. I had this problem after I had my heads cleaned from Canon. I was filming a Bridal Shower and was getting spikes in the audio and didn't no why. When I downloaded into Vegas 6, I found pixelated artifaxes on certain frames throughout the tape. So I had to zoom into that frame and cut out that frame. I used Sound Forge 7 for getting rid of that spiking sound problem. It took a long time for this project. Now I'm afraid to use tapes. Thinking about going digital, but it cost so much money.

Best of Luck!

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

M.B. Westcott
on Dec 5, 2005 at 7:30:49 pm

Hello I am using a Sony GV-D300 firewire and a Mac g-5. I use Panasonic tapes and have switched to Fuji. I have been doing editing since analog, I love the business. However the mini dv format is unreliable.....Also I shoot a Sony DVCAM never had any tape problems. Playing the tape back from the camera. I have already sent the deck in for cleaning once. Just about ready to give up.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Dec 6, 2005 at 12:37:21 pm

[M.B. Westcott] "However the mini dv format is unreliable."

I'd have to disagree with you there.

I've shot and edited with literally hundreds of miniDV tapes for the past few years.

Virtually zero problems.

Far fewer than with BetaCam and BetaSP.

DV is a spectacular format, especially considering its low cost.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]