FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good cheap camcorder to Get for duping

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin C.
Good cheap camcorder to Get for duping
on Nov 8, 2005 at 6:05:36 am

I'm going to go on ebay and get a cheap mini dv camcorder to use for duping. any suggestion on that appreciated. thanks.

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Good cheap camcorder to Get for duping
by
on Nov 13, 2005 at 1:04:15 pm

I have had GREAT luck buying used miniDV "home video" camcorders and using them as spare "decks" and A-to-D-to-A video/audio converter "boxes". I have bought MANY of these little gems at local Pawn Shops for UNDER $175 each (some for $99). The transfer quality in and out matches a deck, and the video/audio output (they all have S-Video outs) monitors great!
AND... If you choose a SONY or PANASONIC camcorder (except for the earliest-built versions of the Sony VX1000), those two brands will ALSO playback perfectly any DVCAM-recorded mini DV tapes as well as DV SP and DV LP (yikes!).

NOTE:
Sorry to say that Canon is rather notorious for (sometimes) creating a camcorder that has a "unique" head-alignment compared to another camcorder. (This shows up as blocky video dropouts and sporadic audio silences as you attempt to play one camera's tape on another unit.)

When shopping LOCALLY (which you might want to consider) for a used "player/recorder" camcorder, I always bring along a miniDV that was recorded on my own camera. I can then play MY tape on any other unit I'm considering and see if the video/audio plays well. If so, I will then RECORD some footage shooting with the new/used little camera and see how THAT footage looks.
Maybe I've been lucky, but I have yet to find a non-working non-compatible "cheapy" camcorder... and if the price is "too good to pass up"... I offer it a new home.

Return to posts index

Kevin C.
on Nov 14, 2005 at 3:06:42 am

Someone else mentioned pawn shops. Called couple. none! so it's off to e bay.

But do you want a power adapter for this purpose? this seems to be a problems as not all manufactures seem to provide one.

I don't think you would want to be dubbing with batteries. you tell me. thanks.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Nov 15, 2005 at 12:51:44 pm

[Kevin C.] "But do you want a power adapter for this purpose? this seems to be a problems as not all manufactures seem to provide one."

I have never, in 25 years of "home video" observation, seen a camcorder whose mfg. did not ship with a power supply.

They must have a way to charge the batteries (some, even on the camera), and virtually all camcorders are designed to "double" as dubbing/"editing" sources.

If there is no PS with a camcorder, it was because:
A. Unscrupulous reseller "pulled" it from the box to charge more.
B. Used unit with a careless owner who lost it.

Return to posts index

Kevin C.
on Nov 16, 2005 at 4:00:11 am

Interesting Matte, did not know that.

Still, I want to see it listed when I looking on ebay, and it's not always listed. But it's good to know it should be there. thanks!

Return to posts index

Matte
on Nov 16, 2005 at 4:07:29 am

[Kevin C.] "I want to see it listed when I looking on ebay, and it's not always listed."

When in doubt, you should always "ask the seller a question" on ebay.

Never bid "blind".

Return to posts index

Kevin C.
on Nov 17, 2005 at 3:46:36 am

Often I ask questions, but what does bid blind mean?

Return to posts index

Matte
on Nov 17, 2005 at 11:49:08 am

[Kevin C.] "what does bid blind mean?"

To bid without knowing what is included in the auction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]