FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this the GL1 or FCP?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin C.
Is this the GL1 or FCP?
on Oct 26, 2005 at 6:37:44 pm

I'm doing some basic shooting test with GL1, which I have hardly ever used and having crazy issues.

I shot couple actors, but when go to capture in my new copy of FCP Express HD, it says looking for timecode and wont' capture.
It will capture, but you have to start the tape and get it going.

To be safe, I opened fresh tape and just shot couch for 1/2 hour and tried to capture again.
Same thing, right away, timecode breaks, and wont finish job. I don't get it. Timecode breaks? JUst shot new tape for 1/2 hr?

And to top that off , getting bizarre stuff, like the software freezing up and removing external hardrives from the bus that are not even scratch disc. I'm just exasperated. If anyone has experienced some of this please let me know. thanks.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Is this the GL1 or FCP?
on Oct 27, 2005 at 5:44:24 am

If you post more of your system details it would be easier to diagnose your capture problems. I'm assuming that your using a firewire drive as a scratch disk? Is your camera on the same firewire BUS as your FW drive? If so, and there are other drives daisychained together on the same BUS that's probably at least half of your capture problems right there. I also know that my GL2 is very possessive and does not like to share a FW BUS with anything else.

You should try to use your FCP3 for capture. It's probably a more versitile program than FCP Express anyway, Consider the fact that FCPEx. will not allow you to log and capture like FCP3 will. That one difference is a huge time saver. If you insist on using FCPEx. for editing you could log and capture with FCP3 and then import the files into FCPEx.

- Don

Return to posts index

Kevin C.
on Oct 28, 2005 at 3:16:27 am

thanks again Don:
I have three external Lacie drives, and they all go into a hub.

The camera I put in the computer direct cause Apple said to do this, correct?

Now Lacie says that could be why drives are popping off, because I'm doing this intensive capturing and the system is overloading, but man! the errors and stuff I'm getting is nuts. Maybe I'll just eject the two drives not being used first.

I upgraded to Tiger, not knowing whatsoever that FCP 3 would not work with Tiger? I called Apple and said hey! FCP wont install on Tiger. And they said, with great delight, oh that old software now, it wont work with Tiger. Is that obnoxious or what?

Being that I'm actually going to hire editors for most of my work, or do trades etc, I got FCP express, but that was a second shock:
I looked at box for express and thought, wow, this thing has everything basically I could want -- only later to see no log and capture.

But you know, some high end FCP gurus like Tom Wolsky don't even like log and capture right?-- he prefers getting everything on computer at once and then sub-clipping. Also, the "clip" option in FCP Express log and capture -- it that like a log and capture?

Back to the Buses, I don't understand it too much, but I assume all my firewire stuff is on the same bus?? I have a dual 1.8 G5.
You put your camera on a different bus that the scratch disk? Can I do this? thanks.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 28, 2005 at 5:44:31 am

I don't use FCExpress so I don't know what the "clip option" is. All I know is that log and capture isn't an option with FCE and I use that all the time, even if I capture entire tapes to FCP in one shot. Log and capture is good if you have limited hard drive space and want to capture certain parts from the tape. Setting all the in and out points in FCP and just leaving the room for a while to get a coffee break is great for me. Everyone works differently, so whatever works for Tom Wolsky may not be the same as what works for you or me.

If you've plugged your camera into a different FW BUS on the back of the G5 than the one the FW drives are connected to, then you're in for a surprise: it's actually the same BUS. What you need to avoid capture problems is a separate firewire PCI card. You can get a good one from LaCie and it's got 3 channels, meaning you can connect your 3 FW drives into it and they will be completely separated from your camera, which you keep connected to the G5's regular FW 400 port. This is the way I've got mine set up and everything works great as far as capturing without problems. The LaCie FW PCI card is not expensive and will save you a world of grief.

- Don

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 28, 2005 at 4:59:17 pm

I just thought of something else you can do to get your FCP3 back and working again. You can use one of your LaCie FW drives as another startup drive, complete with your older version of OSX and FCP3. That way when you want to use FCP3 you can choose to start up from the FW drive instead of the internal drive that has Tiger on it. The only drawback to this is that when you want to capture video with FCP3 you won't be able to use that particular FW drive as a scratch disk, since it's never a good idea to capture video to the same drive as the same one you're using to run the operating system.

Just a thought.

- Don

Return to posts index

Kevin C.
on Oct 29, 2005 at 2:06:08 am

thanks Don. Great points as usual.

Return to posts index

Alexander
on Nov 20, 2005 at 12:37:27 pm

Kevin,
Don't use F-W hubs, they really mess with your system.
If you have to use more than one F-W drive at the same time, then do it with a fire-wire card for your Mac.
Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]