FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL-1s 4-channel audio into FCP

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Reed
Canon XL-1s 4-channel audio into FCP
on Oct 19, 2005 at 4:43:21 pm

I've asked this question at Final Cut Pro meetings in Boston before, but at the time, there was no easy solution. Now that the landscape of FCP and QT has changed, here's hoping.

We have been very happy with our two XL-1s cameras for the last four years. We commonly shoot on 4 channels of 32 KHz audio at 12 bit.

Currently, whenever we want to capture the video and 4 audio channels via Firewire into Final Cut Pro, we have to capture the video and 2 channels of audio in one pass and log a 2nd capture to retrieve the other 2 channels of audio on a second pass.

Question, what solutions are available to capture the video and all 4 channels of audio cuncurrently, in one pass, if we are using Mac OSX 10.4, QuickTime 7, and Final Cut Pro 5?

Craig Reed
Sr. Video Producer
Berklee College of Music

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Canon XL-1s 4-channel audio into FCP
on Oct 21, 2005 at 12:52:24 pm

[Craig Reed] "I've asked this question at Final Cut Pro meetings in Boston before,"

Before WHAT, the Bush administration? ;-)

(Well, not quite that extreme, but this is "old news" by today's information age standards.)

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

(Quote from this site)

Multichannel Audio

Capture and output up to 24 channels of high resolution 24-bit, 96kHz audio in a single pass. Final Cut Pro 5 is fully compatible with these MCP (Mackie Control Protocol) devices: Mackie Control, Mackie Control XT, Logic Control, and Logic Control XT. So you can use external audio control surfaces to mix and record multiple fader automations simultaneously

Return to posts index

Craig Reed
on Oct 21, 2005 at 1:25:54 pm

Thanks Matte, control devices would be nice, down the line, (next administration, maybe).

What I'm looking for, and the Apple site doesn't seem to give any details on this, is real world answers with identified hardware as to how to capture multitrack from DV into FCP 5 in one pass.
Thanks,
Craig

Return to posts index

John vandewege
on Nov 9, 2005 at 7:42:01 pm

Did you ever get anywhere with this. We are retiring our old ProTools LE setup running on OS9. At first I was looking at the M-Audio 1010LT audio card ($300) and the M-powered PT7 software ($400). But if I can just get the card and capture the audio directly into FCP, that would be great.

Return to posts index

Craig Reed
on Nov 9, 2005 at 9:12:24 pm

The best info I was ever able to get was, in order to capture 4 channels simultaneously from DV tapes, we'd have to get a really high-end deck with AES or embedded SDI audio output and SDI video output AND a good capture card with 4 channels digital audio in or an AJA IO box. That's if I want to keep everything digital. Otherwise, I could have the camera convert to analog and send it to an AJA IO box to convert it back to digital (not desirable.). Several thousand $ which we can't afford at the moment.

So at that rate, I'll just keep capturing my audio in 2 passes.
:^(
-Craig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]