FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cleaning XL1 Lenses

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Grimpo
Cleaning XL1 Lenses
on Oct 18, 2005 at 10:28:06 pm

I've got three XL1 cameras and all of them seem to have dust in the lenses or something and I'd just like to get them cleaned. When I do a shot that gets some sun glare, they're just a mess.

Where can I have this done? Do I have to send them to Canon, or is there typically a local type shop that can do this? What do you guys do?

Thanks!

-Phil

Return to posts index

Randall3
Re: Cleaning XL1 Lenses
on Oct 18, 2005 at 11:18:08 pm

Shirt tail and a little spit does the trick. I always shoot with a UV filter on to protect the camera lens. Seriously, I carry a lens tissue and cleaner and clean the filter in the field. 3 bucks at a camera store.

Return to posts index

Phil Grimpo
on Oct 18, 2005 at 11:22:12 pm

I do keep stuff with me, but I think there may actually be dust in the lense and want to have it professionally cleaned. Can I just take that to a local camera shop, or do I need to send it to Canon?

-Phil

Return to posts index

Randall3
on Oct 20, 2005 at 1:16:09 pm

Hi Phil,

Dust IN the lens seems unlikely. They are pretty well sealed against that and humidity. But after cleaning the outside and it's still showing up - yeah, I would send it in for a replacement. There shouldn't be any dust inside the lens. Taking apart a lens and cleaning it is not going to be cheap.

Return to posts index

Ralph Keyser
on Oct 26, 2005 at 11:37:30 pm

Dust actually in the lens is really unusual, especially if you are seeing it in three cameras. I hate to ask obvious questions, but I also hate to see you have to send a bunch of lenses off that don't need it.

Have you checked the viewfinders? Do you normally keep an optical flat on the lens? Have you cleaned the back elements of the lens (in addition to the front)?

Return to posts index

Phil Grimpo
on Oct 27, 2005 at 12:12:53 am

The reason I asked is because when I first got my XL1 there actually was a speck of dust inside the lense and I had to send it back to Japan to get it cleaned. I thought maybe that would happen again. In the field I just cleaned the lense with what I had available, but the other day I took the lens off, cleaned all surfaces very well and things seem to be looking a LOT better. Thank you all for your insights.

-Phil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]