FORUMS: list search recent posts

A good wireless mic for XL1 (not too expencive)

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Sweden
A good wireless mic for XL1 (not too expencive)
on Oct 9, 2005 at 12:30:28 pm

Looking for a wireless system for my XL1, you have to excuse my english when it comes to this because I am not familiar with the professional terms :)

Looking for a wireless microphone sytem for the field for my XL1. The microphone I want is a small one to put on the sleve on the reporter.

Are there microphones that pick up sound from people that the person is talking to also or is it possible to hook u two microphones and feed it into one camera?

I am all new to this so explain it to me like I am a six year old :)
I know that the best would probably be a boom for groups of people talking but I do not always have the benefit of having an assistant on site and a handheld is not an option.

greatful for any help

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: A good wireless mic for XL1 (not too expencive)
on Oct 10, 2005 at 7:08:22 pm

Andreas,

You might want to have a look at the Sennheiser EW100 series wireless mic system.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=G2-1

This is not the least expensive system, nor is it the most espensive, but it will do the job for you. You may experience tranmission dropouts and interference problems with cheap systems (depending on how far away you are from the person wearing the mic and transmitter), but I've used this system for almost 3 years now and have never had a problem. With the cheaper systems you might be limited to only one channel but with the Sennheiser you can change channels if you experience interference from something else close by that's transmitting on the same frequencey.

If you want to have wireless mics on more than one person at the same time you'll have to buy two systems and plug them both into your XL1. If you're shooting outside you'll need to buy or make a small windscreen for the mic, as even a slight breeze will cause rumbling with the wirelss mic and will ruin your audio.

Of course, there are other wireless mic systems out there but this is my recommendation because of the quality and trouble free audio I'm getting with my system.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Freebairn
on Oct 14, 2005 at 5:09:37 pm

I second the reccomendation, I use this same system and it is very good. I wouldn't buy a transmitter set that only has one channel. Depending on where you are at there could be all kinds of "radio noise"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 5, 2005 at 2:15:34 pm

The Sennheiser G series is good. When you buy, have the sales person check to see which frequency block is good for you. You can do this yourself by going to a site that has a chart of cities and spectrum.

The Lectrosonics site has an easy to use chart:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/cgi-bin/tv_form.pl

Plug in your city and across the bottom you will see what frequency ranges are currently being used by both analog and digital TV stations and where they are on the compass relative to the center of town and how far away they are.

If they are far enough away, you probably won't have much to worry about. I will mention that on one occasion a shooter was getting hits on his single channel wireless mic receiver in Baltimore. He thought it was a local DTV station. In fact, it was a DC analog TV station that was getting to his receiver because he was on south side (DC side) of the top floor of the World Trade Center in downtown Baltimore!

You should always have a hardwire backup for when something gets into your wireless. I use Countryman mics. I have them put a connector link into each mic cable so I can plug the mic into my wireless body transmitters or into the other half of the link that goes to a regular XLR power supply.

I have more audio tips like this in a little book called the Ty For Audio Bootcamp Field Guide. There's more about that on my site; http://www.tyford.com

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]