John the Video Man
"On Screen" function for Canon XL-1
on Oct 5, 2005 at 9:42:42 pm

Xl-1's On Screen function.

My Canon XL-1 has 2 maybe 3 video outs as follows:

1) Analog video out at an RCA female.
2) Analog video out at a S-Video
3) Digital out at firewire 1394 socket.

I use the RCA and S-Video outs. I can use the "On Screen" button on the remote to switch camera screen info on and off for these outs. Nice. This lets me monitor the camera and tape progress while watching a smaller video monitor. Nice.

Here's my issue.

The "On Screen" button on the remote switches the info on and off for both the RCA and for the S-Video outs. I want to switch these outs one at a time. I would use one out for a stand along deck (don't want no stinking screen data for the second deck) and one out for convenient monitoring the camera and tape. The second deck would serve as a safety backup deck.

Now on to the 3rd out type; the firewire socket.

I can't get my Canon XL-1 firewire out to work. Yes, I am not using the "Canon" brand connection cord like the XL-1 manual instructs me to use, but I can't imagine that brand really matters. So, let's say that someday I do get the firewire port to work.

Will the Canon firewire port provide a live feed out during tape recording without the On Screen data that the RAC and S-Video outs provide?

Thanks for thinking about this.

Top of the day to you.
John the Video Man

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: "On Screen" function for Canon XL-1
on Oct 11, 2005 at 1:02:10 pm

[John the Video Man] "Will the Canon firewire port provide a live feed out during tape recording without the On Screen data that the RAC and S-Video outs provide?"

That's correct, the FW output does not overlay the info-graphics.

[John the Video Man] "The "On Screen" button on the remote switches the info on and off for both the RCA and for the S-Video outs. I want to switch these outs one at a time."

That's the kind of thing found only in much higher-priced gear.
Some decks have a separate output jack marked "character" (or similar) that offers the ability to see the graphics. The other output never overlays the graphics.
In most camcorders, you have a choice as to whether the overlay is seen only on the viewfinder/LCD screen or to have it appear over ALL of the analog outputs at once.

[John the Video Man] "I am not using the "Canon" brand connection cord like the XL-1 manual instructs me to use, but I can't imagine that brand really matters."

Right again. Canon does not make a "magical" Canon-only FW cable.
How do you know the FW is not working (what have you connected it to)?

Return to posts index

John the Video Man
on Oct 11, 2005 at 2:14:41 pm

Thank you very much. The Cow is Great.

Last weekend I did an extensive test by process of elimination and found that my XL-1 would accept a firewire input signal, but defectively. The picture as seen in the viewfinder would come across for maybe 3 seconds and then go to blue screen for a couple of seconds and then back to the picture. It would continue to oscillate like this and never settle down to a continuous picture.

Under no circumstance would the XL-1 firewire port output a signal.

So, I conclude that my XL-1 needs service. My buddy Bogie says that service for the XL-1 might be prohibitively expensive. He also suggests that my 1998 XL-1 may have ancient firewire drivers and that just some driver updates may fix the problem.

What do you all think?

Top of the day to you
John the Video Man

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Oct 13, 2005 at 3:59:31 am

[John the Video Man] "My buddy Bogie says that service for the XL-1 might be prohibitively expensive. He also suggests that my 1998 XL-1 may have ancient firewire drivers and that just some driver updates may fix the problem."

Service would not be cheap.

I see no reason that you would NEED a FW connection on the camera (unless you wanted to use a FireStore HD for recording).

Your workaround would be to use an inexpensive camcorder if you wanted to input/output DV tapes for an NLE via FW.

See my response to Cookiemonsterette a couple of threads above this one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]