FORUMS: list search recent posts

manual white balance problem

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
manual white balance problem
on Sep 30, 2005 at 4:17:16 pm

I'm having a reoccuring problem achieving manual white balance on my GL2. I'm using studio lights in a room with no natural light, everything on the camera is set to manual. Lights are on, manual focus is set, white board in front of talent's face--in other words, the same way I've done it countless times--and I select manual white balance and push the button to have it set. The little icon never stops flashing, just slows (which happens sometimes, but...), but then the white balance is obviously way off--picture is very pinkish.

I've tried removing the batteries to let the camera reset, and starting again--same issue. Even tried looking at the pinkish tape on my computer just to see if it maybe looks off, but is actually okay. It's not.

I've resorted to using the preset white balance for studio lighting as a solution for the moment, which is fine I guess, but it's driving me crazy that I can't figure out what's causing this or how to correct it. Anyone out there have this problem or know a solution?

thanks a lot-

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
Re: manual white balance problem
on Oct 16, 2005 at 8:27:02 am

I've had a somewhat similar problem where my XL1s won't white balance in shady conditions. It's been that way ever since I bought it and repeated attempts by Canon's Irvine service center to fix it were unsuccessful.

Also, Canon claims it's OK when they repair it.

My older XL1 had no problem with this at all.

Another problem: color shifting when the gain setting is changed. Hadn't had that happen with any other camera. And, again, my older Canon XL1 was OK with this, too.

So while there are certainly some cameras that are chronically problematic (lemons) getting them fixed can be equally problematic.

Dean Sensui -- http://www.HawaiiGoesFishing.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]