FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod and head for XL2?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Tripod and head for XL2?
on Sep 28, 2005 at 1:27:28 am

So, does anyone have any good suggestions for an XL2 tripod and head?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
Re: Tripod and head for XL2?
on Sep 28, 2005 at 5:58:10 pm

Ty,
As I'm sure you are aware, 'you get what you pay for.' I find this to be especially true of Tripods/Heads. I don't make a lot of recommendations for Tripod/heads because the good ones cost so much $$. I would usually recommend the big 3 Sachtler, Vinten, Miller.(one can probably add O'connor as well as some other makers) We have one Sachtler Tripod head that cost as much as the camera!
BUT, Manfrotto just release their 'best' head. (that sounds kind of dirty) that I saw at NAB, it is really nice and smooth. We have a lot of Manfrotto heads, but this is the only one that I would recommend. Actually, it looks like they have 2 of the same kind. 519 & 526. The sticks aren't as critial, carbon fiber with quick release and elevated spreaders are my favorite.
What you didn't say is what you are going to be doing. Sports? Interviews? Traveling? Studio? etc. If you're not going to do a lot of 'on camera' panning and tilting, then you probably could get by with a less exspensive model.

FWIW,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 28, 2005 at 9:18:26 pm

Hi Todd,

The use is uncertain but will most likely include studio, club and documentary stuff.

Someone showed me their $8K Sachtler(which they 'got a bargain on at $6k'. My head almost exploded.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Sep 29, 2005 at 11:00:24 pm

you don't need to spend 6k for a camera as light as the XL2

vinten, sachtler and miller all make "DV" setups that will handle the XL2 starting around $1200

I am real happy with my Vinten Vison 3 which was around $1600. The best deals for vintens are from theri west coast dealer - significantly cheaper than B&H

Return to posts index

JasonR
on Sep 29, 2005 at 12:37:36 pm

I use a manfrotto 3021BPRO pod and a 501 Head. At $350.00, it beats the 6k idea. I have no complaints. Very fluid. I use it for weddings.

Return to posts index

SalaTar
on Sep 30, 2005 at 12:09:30 am

I have a Manfrotto 503 head
Smooth as hell when set up right

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 30, 2005 at 3:33:56 am

OK so a 503 head for an XL2.

What about sticks?

Ty

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Sep 30, 2005 at 5:31:12 am

Woa, Woa, Woa.
Slow Down, do not pass go, do not collect $200!
I have 8 503 heads, I would NOT recommend them for XL-2. We use all of them exclusively on XL-2s and I find them to be rough to start and stop with. One they start moving, ya their smooth, but not what you want if you need a smooth start.
Peter was correct, you can get a pretty decent one for around $1k. I already mentioned about sticks, see first post.

If you want to get a 503 head you should try it or demo one before you buy. Even for around $300, if it's not going to work for you, then it's a waste of money. I'm not bad mouthing Manfrotto or the other posters, you just need to use your own judgement.

You can go back and forth with people who love something or hate it.
FWIW

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 30, 2005 at 11:00:43 am

Hmm,

Apparently there's a fly in the jelly.

OK, what head would you suggest for the XL2?

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 30, 2005 at 11:35:29 am

OK,

What about:

Sachtler
Sachtler DV-4II Aluminum Tripod System - consists of: DV-4II Fluid Head, DA-75L 1-Stage Tripod, Mid-Level Spreader and Padded Case - Supports 13.2 lbs
Mfr# 0432

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Sep 30, 2005 at 4:00:56 pm

Hi Ty,
it looks like you're in the ballpark.
You will probably be happy with any of them. I am a little concerned about the Sachtler only supports 13lb?
Can you take the head from option B with the sticks from option C? LOL I don't know how important the sticks are? If you don't need to lug it around, then Aluminum would be OK, but you may not want to ware yourself out with heavy sticks. I don't know how big of a guy are you? So, maybe Aluminum may not be that heavy.

Here's the thing, a tripod/head purchase is something that you will use for YEARS to come. Since a good head/tripod can last a long time (with proper care), you want to spend your money the right way, the first time.
Although I spend A LOT of money for the companies I work for, if it was my personal money, $1,300 is a lot of dough.
You might want to check ebay as well, those will be your best deals. Private party to private party.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Larry@genesisvideo
on Oct 7, 2005 at 5:45:26 am

Hello Ty, I've been reading the posts and thought I would toss in my two cents worth. I own two XL2's and made my sticks/head purchase based on recommendations and my budget. I chose the Manfrotto 3193 tri-pod, with spreaders and a rolling dolly. Aluminum, but very sturdy and a bit beefy. I use the Bogen 516 fluid head with a 100mm bowl. I shoot weddings, sports, interviews primarily. So far, I am very happy. When I film football games I need to move the camera quickly and smoothly. With the tensions adjusted properly it is working great. I am certain the other more expensive heads and sticks perform flawlessly, I just did not have that kind of capital to invest, but I am certainly happy with what I have received for my money.

Larry

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 7, 2005 at 11:38:27 am

Thanks Larry,

I looked at it. Seems like you get what you pay for. The Sachlter goes down to 20 inches and has more drag contol and a mid spreader.

As a migrating audio guy, I am becoming overwhelmed.

Ty

Return to posts index

Richard Milner
on Oct 5, 2005 at 12:53:36 am

Ty,

We have a Vinten tripod and head combo that we are currently using with the xl2. give me or Craig a call to get the particulars.

Price point is very good.

Richard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]