FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Impressions on the Canon XL H1 High Definition Camcorder

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Berube
First Impressions on the Canon XL H1 High Definition Camcorder
on Sep 16, 2005 at 6:04:08 am

Don Berube has posted first impressions on this professional 1080i HD camera at:
http://www.bosfcpug.org/beta/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102&...

The XL H1 features a flexible "open architecture" design, allowing for a variety of custom camera configurations and various applications for those working with High Definition video - Broadcast and Film. Its top five features are:

1. PROFESSIONAL HD-SDI:
Uncompressed 1080/60i 4:2:2 HD-SDI output at 1.485 Gbps.
That's right. 1.485 Gbps. This will allow for multi-format external HD recording to HDCAM, DVCPRO HD, and non-linear systems like a Final Cut Studio suite outfitted with an Aja Kona 2 card, for example.

2. NEWLY DEVELOPED High Definition Lens:
20x HD L/SR OIS lens (5.4mm-108mm, f/1.6-f/3.5, 72mm filter size) with Super Range Optical Image Stabilization
This is not the same lens as on the XL2, it is a newly-designed HD lens for the XL H1, and in working with it, it is simply beautiful.

3. THREE 1.67megapixel 16:9 Native CCDs
1440 x 1080 effective, selectable capture of 24 Frame or 30 Frame (24F, 30F or 60i)

4. NEWLY DEVELOPED DIGIC DV II HD Image Processor
Supports 30fps & 24fps (25 fps in Europe)
The XL H1 does indeed do 24fps in what Canon calls 24 Frame as it is 1080i.

5. PROFESSIONAL JACK PACK:
Gen-Lock (input), TimeCode (input /output), HD-SDI BNC (Component, S-Video and Composite also included)
Think low-cost High Definition multi-cam production in tandem with Final Cut Studio.

More extensive and user-related info on the Canon XL H1 High Definition Camcorder will be posted continuously throughout the week at:
http://www.bosfcpug.org/beta/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102&...

Return to posts index

Gary Taylor
Re: First Impressions on the Canon XL H1 High Definition Camcorder
on Sep 16, 2005 at 1:27:00 pm

Hi Don,
I was wondering if you had any info on the RGB output you list on the bosfcpug site. Is this an option for output in addition to the standard YUV?
Thanks in advance,
Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Taylor
on Sep 16, 2005 at 4:46:04 pm

Hi Daniel,
Sorry for calling you Don. I sure it happens all the time. It must be hard on you being the good looking brother with a name so much like your brothers.
Gary

Return to posts index

Martin
on Sep 17, 2005 at 9:34:12 am

Hi
Cant find any info on Canon's site about,Uncompressed 1080/60i "4:2:2" HD-SDI output at 1.485 Gbps. Where did you find this info?
Martin

Return to posts index

Richard Milner
Canon XL H1 High Definition Camcorder Lense Issue
on Sep 17, 2005 at 10:56:05 am

[Daniel Berube] "2. NEWLY DEVELOPED High Definition Lens:
20x HD L/SR OIS lens (5.4mm-108mm, f/1.6-f/3.5, 72mm filter size) with Super Range Optical Image Stabilization
This is not the same lens as on the XL2, it is a newly-designed HD lens for the XL H1, and in working with it, it is simply beautiful."

This lense sounds fantastic with one exception. It's wide angle capablity is limited. in 16:9, it is only equivilant to about 38mm on a 35mm still camera. If you are shooting 4:3 it becomes a little less than 50mm equivilant. In 4:3, this would make a great lense for covering baseball or something where you are very far away, but if you are trying to fit into a 6x8 foot room and get a wide shot, forget it. In 16:9, it is barely passable.

If a wide angle coverter is offered, the question to ask is will the optics be compromised? What good is it to have a HD camera if the lense doesn't deliver?

Canon is probably hitting a price point with this lense including it with the camera for less than $9,000. Much of the technology is borrowed from the 35mm and digital still image line. I assume that if successful, there will be more wide angle capable zoom lenses. That lense would probably be priced greater than $3,500 IMHO. If they can come up with a lens with about a 16x zoom capablity and having a 20mm equivilant to 35mm for 16:9 and a 28mm for 3:4, I think it would be more useful.

Return to posts index

Bob Glover
Re: Canon XL H1 High Definition Camcorder Lense Issue
on Oct 15, 2005 at 2:42:43 am

Hi,
Is the Iris on the lens or on the camera?

If on camera, have they imporoved the "steppiness". I find it very hard to do a live Iris ride on XL2.

cheers

bob

Bob Glover
Edit Solutions
Perth Western Australia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]