FORUMS: list search recent posts

monitor to use with xl2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Moss
monitor to use with xl2
on Sep 5, 2005 at 4:35:20 pm

What's a good choice for a monitor given the different ratios this cam uses? I want one that is big enough so a group of people can watch what is being shot. I'd like it to be used for color and compostional decisions as well. Since this combo might get expensive, is it possible to split the signal and use a small monitor that is color accurate and a larger cheap but decent one for the group?

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: monitor to use with xl2
on Sep 5, 2005 at 9:01:12 pm

[Craig Moss] "is it possible to split the signal and use a small monitor that is color accurate and a larger cheap but decent one for the group?"

Yes, if you'd like.

Send the composite (RCA) output to one monitor and the S-Video Output to the other.

And/or, truly professional monitors have a "Bridging" input so that you can loop a second monitor "through" the first one.

Return to posts index

Craig Moss
on Sep 6, 2005 at 12:18:36 am

So what monitor would you recommend given the camera's ability to shoot in 4:3 and 16:9? I'd like to use it for color correction/FCP as well.

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 6, 2005 at 12:43:09 pm

For judging iris levels and color accuracy you still want a CRT ("picture tube") monitor (while you can still get them) and not an LCD or Plasma.

Any Sony, Panasonic or JVC professional 4x3 monitor that has a 16x9 "button" will work for you.

There are several 9" portables that can also run on 12v batteries if needed for location use.

If you want a larger color-correction monitor, there are many pro monitors in the 14"-19" size.
You want to choose a monitor with a "Blue-Only" setting so you can quickly "neutral-balance" the screen image using SMPTE color bars before assessing other input sources.

If you just want a bigger screen for clients to watch (not for "accuracy") you can buy any 17" to 20" LCD low-ender to loop from your "good" monitor.

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on Sep 11, 2005 at 10:03:11 pm

In the field I use a Sony PVM-9L3 9" High Resolution monitor, 4:3/16:9 switchable, powered by IDX V-mount batts. In the editing room, we have a JVC DT-V1910CGU 19" DTV monitor with which we have installed the composite/ S-video, component and both SD and HD-SDI cards. If it's a basic FireWire edit we monitor via S-video. If we are editing with our Kona 2 card, then we typically monitor via SD-SDI through the Kona 2 card. If there is a lot of titles and graphics, we'll recompress the clips in the timeline to 8-bit uncompressed and monitor through the Kona 2 card.

Best regards,

- don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]