FORUMS: list search recent posts

xl2 standard kit 20x lens range

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Moss
xl2 standard kit 20x lens range
on Sep 5, 2005 at 4:19:39 pm

what is the closest I can set up an xl2 with standard 20x lens in a studio situation? I want to be close enough to use the on-board mic. I'm shooting something tomorrow and won't have time to experiment, never a good thing with a new cam.

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: xl2 standard kit 20x lens range
on Sep 5, 2005 at 9:12:26 pm

[Craig Moss] "I want to be close enough to use the on-board mic."

For WHAT?

Natural sound like engine noise or welding hits? No problem.

Interview or on-camera voice? Not so much.

Its nearly always (no, make that ALWAYS) better to use a lav mic or a boom mic for picking up on-camera voices under studio conditions.

The on-camera mic is better-suited for "general" sounds.
And sitting the camera close enough to pick up an on-camera interview will cause "fish-eye" distortion in the image and virtually unlimited depth-of-field (not a good thing, if you want a better-composed shot.)
Camera operating noise will also be a problem.

Sorry, but if you shoot sync-sound dialog with the on-camera mic, you're going to be judged as an "amateur" or "guerilla shooter", true or not.

Return to posts index

Craig Moss
on Sep 6, 2005 at 12:31:24 am

[Matte] "
Its nearly always (no, make that ALWAYS) better to use a lav mic or a boom mic for picking up on-camera voices under studio conditions.

I'm aware of this and it's why I am asking. This will be a temporary situation in a studio situation with students until I can get a boom and external mic. I have to go through forms and hope certain things are approved. This will be amateur production but hope in time to raise the level. For now we will shoot against a bare b.g. and tight on the talking heads. A wide-angle lens would no doubt be better but I'm assuming I can get a mic and boom in the coming months.

Sorry, but if you shoot sync-sound dialog with the on-camera mic, you're going to be judged as an "amateur" or "guerilla shooter", true or not.

Well it is true but hopefully over time the bar can get raised.

So for now, how close to the subject will this lens allow?

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 6, 2005 at 12:30:45 pm

There is no limit to how close you can get.

You can touch the person's nose and still be in focus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]