FORUMS: list search recent posts

playback GL2 MiniDV through DVCPro deck

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
playback GL2 MiniDV through DVCPro deck
on Aug 31, 2005 at 3:20:07 pm

I'm new to this forum. A client just bought a Canon GL2 so he could do his own shooting. I'm bumping everything up to Beta, using my DVCPro studio deck with the DV settings and the special adapter. This has worked in the past with DV from other cameras.

But I'm noticing a lot of little problems with the video. I don't know whether you'd call them dropouts. They are little ripples, especially at the start and end of each time the camera rolls. This is not a major problem but there are also occasional ripples in the middle of an interview.

I am going to get the actual camera in the studio and see whether I can get better results by using the actual camera as a playback device. I am also going to re-transfer sections and see whether I the ripples stay in exactly the same location. But I wanted to ask the members of this forum about their experience with the GL2. Is this a common problem? Are there some tricks that would mitigate it?

The client says he played the tape back, but only to check that there was something on the tape. It had been rewound to head in the camera before I got hold of it. It also went through airport security, but as carry-on.

-- Bob Cole

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: playback GL2 MiniDV through DVCPro deck
on Aug 31, 2005 at 3:51:39 pm

[Bob Cole] "I am going to get the actual camera in the studio and see whether I can get better results by using the actual camera as a playback device."

My guess is that this will clear things up.
What you describe sounds like "tracking error" between the head alignments of both units.

It might be "worse" (more apparent) as the tape starts and stops at pauses in the recording.

Error-correction can compensate for a lot of this problem, but it simply can't fix it all.

That said, it MIGHT be that if you re-play the "bad" sections (even on the DVCPro deck) you might get the errors to be less (or at slightly different places) on subsequent passes. If so, you could "cherry-pick" the best sections to use in the final edit.

(We used to pull that same trick with drop-outs on BetaSP.)

Return to posts index

Zach Mull
Re: playback GL2 MiniDV through DVCPro deck
on Sep 1, 2005 at 4:06:56 pm

This is my first post on Creative Cow so take it for what that's worth. I deal with this issue all the time with the GL1s I have at work, and I have been trying to get definitive advice on it at DVInfo.net. I find that playing back through the Canon cameras always works and that recapturing bad sections, as Matte said, works 90% of the time. Some people have had success after getting Canon to realign the record heads in the camera or using Panasonic tapes (not that either of these will help you right now, obviously). I imagine getting the camera that shot the footage is your only solution.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Correct!
on Sep 6, 2005 at 2:44:09 am

Thanks Matte and Zach. Playing back through the camera that acquired the footage did the trick.

-- BC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]