FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suttering Video or Frozen frames

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JohnieBlayze
Suttering Video or Frozen frames
on Aug 18, 2005 at 1:51:51 pm

I'm capturing into my FCP Aurora Igniter system from a Canon XL1 through S-Video to S-Video ports. For some strange reason the video sutters on play back. I go through the video frame by frame and I notice duplicated frames (or fields). I was thinking of running the playback from the Canon XL1 to my S-Video VCR and capture from the VCR.

My system is a G4 733 with 1gb ram and a 70gb 10k rpm hard drive which was used in a Media100 system and video ran off it nicely. Just looking for some hard or system anwser and suggestion.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Suttering Video or Frozen frames
on Aug 18, 2005 at 7:00:05 pm

[JohnieBlayze] "Canon XL1 through S-Video to S-Video ports."

Why aren't you capturing DV via the FW port on the Mac?
FW is the best possible connection and transfer from/to a DV device.

Return to posts index

JohnieBlayze
Re: (I meant dropped frames) Suttering Video or Frozen frames
on Aug 18, 2005 at 7:34:04 pm

I was going the S-Video route because I need to see the video on the NTSC monitor when I edit which I can't do with the DV unless you can tell me how to do that. My capture card doesn't support DV.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matte
on Aug 18, 2005 at 8:38:26 pm

[JohnieBlayze] "I was going the S-Video route because I need to see the video on the NTSC monitor when I edit which I can't do with the DV unless you can tell me how to do that."

Turn camcorder on and put it in the VCR mode.
Hook the audio and video outputs of the camcorder to an external monitor.
Connect and leave the FireWire hooked up ONLY between the Mac and the camcorder (no FW connection to a capture card) there can only be one DV device (camcorder, deck, or FW capture card) connected to a Mac at any given time (FW hard drives are OK.)
Quit and restart FCP and choose:
View (Menu) > External Video > All Frames

You should hear/see FCP's output via the camcorder's A/V outputs.

For Log and Capture, leave the camcorder in VCR mode and the FW connected.
In the capture control setting, some camcorders work better with "FW" setting or some like "FWBasic" (NTSC or PAL).

Return to posts index

JohnieBlayze
on Aug 19, 2005 at 12:38:00 am

Thanks for the info. It kinda dawned on me to do your suggestion before you responded to the thread. I tried it out and it works great. I guess this means I need to purchase a mini-dv deck. Especially since I don't want to wear out the heads on the camera rewinding and fast-forwarding and stuff.

Thanks
JohnieBlayze

Return to posts index

Matte
on Aug 19, 2005 at 11:15:57 am

[JohnieBlayze] "I guess this means I need to purchase a mini-dv deck."

The best little deck by consensus here on the COW is the Sony DSR11.
Its comparatively inexpensive, extremely rugged and reliable.
It records and plays in both DV SP and DVCAM speeds, and accepts miniDV and full-sized DV tapes without needing an adapter.
And it will play or record (but not "convert") PAL and NTSC.

Here are some links: (the "real" prices are sometimes only available via email, due to a requirement by Sony... they run between 1500-1700 USD.)

http://www.promax.com/Movie/118

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=RetrieveSku&IC=SODSR11&kw...

OTHERWISE:
If you just want to save wear and tear on your "good" camera, and save a LOT of money until you can buy a real deck...
Many editors use a small one-chip DV "home video" camcorder for their "editing deck".
Since the process does not use the image chip section of the camera (just the "tape deck" section) the quality of playback and recording of any properly-operating small camcorder with a FW port will do just fine. (The quality of transfers is identical to a higher-priced deck.)
If you choose a Panasonic or Sony brand, they will also PLAY (but not record) any tapes recorded on other pro camcorders at DVCAM speed.
I can find used DV camcorders for under $150 (eBay, pawn shops, etc.)

Return to posts index

JohnieBlayze
on Aug 19, 2005 at 3:42:54 pm

I was told once that I could use a consumer (home video) dv camorder as a deck to digitize and record to. But will a "home video" recorder give me time code in case I need to go back and re-digitize a project? The stuff I plan on doing right now is low to mid budget commericals for cable tv. So re-digitizing exact points may not be that crucial at this stage in this business venture.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Aug 21, 2005 at 8:22:43 pm

DV is DV.

Timecode is part of the DV format.

I would not have recommended a consumer camcorder if it was in any concrete way different than a deck.

This is why its so amazing that DV has blurred the line between professional and consumer gear.

Assuming heads are aligned and the gear is operating "normally", there will be virtually NO difference in audio/video quality, timecode or any other property on a DV SP recording copied by FW to/from a consumer camcorder or a pro deck.

Decks: MAY last longer, MAY rewind/search faster, MAY have more features, and MAY have DVCAM record speed.
Decks: DO stack on the shelf better, DO load/unload tapes easier, and (most likely) DO cost more.
Those are the main differences.

But not one DECK that I have ever seen doubles as a cool little "extra" CAMCORDER on vacation or in a "pinch".

Return to posts index

JohnieBlayze
on Aug 22, 2005 at 1:32:14 pm

Thanks alot for the great (beyond) valuble information. I believe you have sold me on purchasing a consumer camcorder for the time being until I can afford a more professional deck which will happen when my little business venture grows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]