FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL2 widescreen signalling? (DVD recording purposes)

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
B Sawyer
XL2 widescreen signalling? (DVD recording purposes)
on Jun 29, 2005 at 3:44:48 am

Hi all,

At work we have a Canon XL2 camcorder, and are just starting to shoot in 16:9 mode.

We want to be able to dub straight from the camcorder to a DVD recorder, for the purpose of quickly making demo copies of raw footage for clients without having to capture/author via computer. It is essential that the discs are correctly 16:9 tagged, so that they will play back without distortion on clients' 4:3 displays.

I've been researching various DVD recorders, and it appears that most of them do not support manually specifying a 16:9 tag during recording (much to my disgust). They rely on the source device including a widescreen 'tag' in the video signal, that the DVD recorder can detect (and then tag the disc as necessary). I gather that this signal tag is known as "ID-1".

Does anyone know if the Canon XL2 outputs this tag over S-Video and/or i.Link (the two main connections that DVD recorders support)?

Thanks,

-Bon

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: XL2 widescreen signalling? (DVD recording purposes)
on Jun 29, 2005 at 6:00:03 pm

I'm not sure.
We still do it the old fashioned way.
We put the tape into a DV vtr and dub from there so we can do a time-code window burn.
The footage dosen't save us or the client much time or money if we cant go direct to a point on tape.
Without time-code they are just guessing.

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Jun 30, 2005 at 12:38:18 am

[B Sawyer] "... I've been researching various DVD recorders, and it appears that most of them do not support manually specifying a 16:9 tag during recording (much to my disgust). ..."

I have a Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD recorder. It has a menu setting for 4:3 or 16:9 recording. Works great, and is independent of the source video. In other words, you set the aspect ratio "tag"; it doesn't get it from the source video.

Its 16:9 DVDs correctly fill a 16:9 monitor, or letterboxed on a 4:3 monitor, assuming the monitor/TV is properly set-up to display tagged material.

I bought this recorder several months ago; there are probably other models with similar features, and models/features change all the time. Before I made a final purchase decision I downloaded & read the user manuals from each manufacture's website to determine which units did what.

All the best,

- Peter

Just a friendly reminder to all: Please consider filling-in your COW user profile information so we have a better idea who you are, where you're from, and so forth. It's the friendly thing to do. Thanks!

Return to posts index

B Sawyer
on Jun 30, 2005 at 4:06:09 am

David- we could still do that (burn the timecode into the image) by enabling the XL2's OSD (which includes timecode) during playback. Presumably, this would only work over S-Video (not iLink), but that would probably suffice for what we're doing. What format are you dubbing to?

Peter- Thanks for the info. I've also been downloading various instruction manuals, but hadn't yet looked at the Toshiba brand. I did confirm that one Sony model available here (Australia) can do it, but it's out of our price range. There may well be several models that have this feature, but there's very little info about it to be found on Google.

Cheers,

-Bon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]