FORUMS: list search recent posts

Emergency question on XL2 and importing into FCP with 2:3:3:2 at 24p

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Newton
Emergency question on XL2 and importing into FCP with 2:3:3:2 at 24p
on Jun 26, 2005 at 3:47:57 am

Sorry... I am posting this in both the Final Cut and Canon DV forums...

Hello, I am trying to win a bid on a commercial and I was asked to show a new reel with some particular imagery. The question that the client had was on my camera quality. I am shooting with the XL2. Today I was shooting in 24p with 2:3:3:2 mode selected. I have shot numerous times with this camera but never in this mode. I always shot in 2:3 mode. I shot it in 16:9 and am wanting a widescreen look to my images. I purposely framed images in the foreground so that they were more justified to the widescreen feel....

Sorry...to my question. When I am importing them into FCP 5.0 they are being imported as 4:3 (full frame) not 16:9. I went back and checked all my settings and I cannot seem to figure out why. I have imported clips before with 16:9 selected but never into 5.0...that was with 4.5.

Could anyone please tell me what to do. I need to have this reel done by monday morning and I just found out about it yesterday...so lets just say that this is one more worry that I would love to not have to worry about.

Thank you so much for you help. Jeff.

http://www.jeffnewton.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Emergency question on XL2 and importing into FCP with 2:3:3:2 at 24p
on Jun 26, 2005 at 4:42:42 am

Hi Jeff,

Don't worry, you're XL2 16:9 footage is correctly being captured to the 720x480 aspect ratio. When you capture 16:9 to FCP you must check the anamorphic checkbox in the log and capture window. You must also choose to use the DN NTSC Anamorphic codec in the preferences window, instead of just DV NTSC.

Remember that even though you're capturing a 16:9 image it's still going to be in a 720x480 window but it's squeezed into an anamorphic image. Once you've successfully captured your footage, choose a new sequence timeline in FCP but make sure it's a 16:9 timeline. It has nothing to do with the XL2 and everything to do with FCP5.

Since you say you've captured 16:9 footage successfully before but with FCP 4.5 you probably already know all this stuff. I'm just trying to make sure you didn't miss anything. If you're using a DV camera as a deck to capture with, does the camera screen say that the footage is in 16:9? I know that with my FCP 4.5 I was having trouble capturing widescreen footage a few weeks ago. It would always end up as fullscreen no matter what I did. Finally I trashed the FCP preference files and everything was fine afterwards.

Hope this helps.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jeff Newton
on Jun 26, 2005 at 6:11:01 am

Don,

So, on my G4 laptop with FCP 4.5/Mac OX 10.39 it's working perfectly with all the normal settings. I dont have anamorphic selected in the log and capture window...I actually never have. It just always captured it in 16:9. When you were watching it as it was being captured it would show as 4:3 but when you selected it in the bin it would then show up in the viewer window as a widescreen file.

So, I am trying everything imagionable...but on my G5 tower with FCP5/Tiger it will not work. If I select anamorphic in the log and capture window it gives me a pop up when I go to capture that says...'general error'. I have never seen that with my laptop or even on my desktop.

I even switched my settings the timeline like you said to make the timeline 16:9 but that just seemed to stretch the image. The XL2 records in true 16:9 so I dont want to stretch it anymore.

I also dont fully understand what you meant by:

"You must also choose to use the DN NTSC Anamorphic codec in the preferences window, instead of just DV NTSC."

I have never worked with DN NTSC before and I looked in my preferences and I couldn't find it there. Im am seeming like I dont know what Im talking about but I have worked in the program before and I have never came across this problem. I dont know if it is a FCP 5.0 problem...but I just edited a full music video in 5.0 and it was fine. Now...that was not recorded in 16:9 so I didn't run into this problem...but I have done work on my laptop with 4.5 using 16:9 and never had to change the timeline to a 16:9 timeline.

Sorry to make this so crazy but I am frusterated right now and I have to leave tomorrow morning at 4am to go up North to shoot more footage and come back tomorrow night and edit all the footage to show Monday at the agency...AHHH.

Thank you again, Jeff.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 26, 2005 at 6:54:09 am

Well trash your FCP 5 prefs first so we both know you're starting out with a fresh set. Here's how to do it properly:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html

The article is for FCP 4 but I'll bet they're in the same location for FCP 5. Once that's done try it again. Use the DV NTSC Anamorphic capture codec. You can access the setting from the log and capture window in the capture settings tab. And make sure you've clicked the Anamorphic check box. In FCP 4.5 it's in the first tab.

Then do a test capture again and report back when you have a chance. My DN NTSC Anamorphic was a typo. It's DV NTSC Anammorphic. Sorry about that.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jeff Newton
on Jun 26, 2005 at 7:40:25 am

So...check this out...I don't know if I am doing it right or not but here is what I came up with and it seems to work...for right now...I say that because who know's tomorrow.

So, in my audio/video settings my sequence preset is set to: DV NTSC 48 KHz - 23.98 and my capture preset is set to: dv advanced (2:3:3:2) pulldown removal.

My log and capture: 'capture settings' are set to:
Device Control: DV NTSC
Capture/Input: DV NTSC 48 KHz advanced (2:3:3:2) pulldown removal.

Before I go and import this I create a new timeline that is has the 16:9 setting checked...then I go and import my clips and store then in my bin. I DO NOT place them in the timeline yet I just import them all as I need them. Once I am done importing them I check that they imported as 16:9 by double clicking them in the bin to open them in the viewer...not the canvas/timeline. Once I know that they imported correctly I select the timeline and go to the sequence tab and select settings and remove the check in the 16:9 anamorphic to make the timeline a 4:3 timeline.

Then I can start moving the clips to the timeline without them being stretched and they fall perfectly in line with a widescreen format within the 4:3 ratio. I was even able to view it on my external video monitor and in my eyepiece on the xl2 to make sure that it was regristering as a 16:9 image on the tv screen.

So...that being said...I have no freakin' idea if this is the correct way...especially since it is not the way everyone else is doing this and it is not the way that I have to do it on my laptop...so who knows.

Don...does this way sound absurd??? And one more question. Where is this:

" And make sure you've clicked the Anamorphic check box. In FCP 4.5 it's in the first tab."

I went to my laptop to check and see if that was checked and I just didn't realize it but I am not sure which one you are talking about. On 5.0 on my G5 I dont even have an anamorphic box checked right now and I am being able to do what I just explained.

It's all a bit crazier than I would have expected for FCP.

Well, Im off to bed. I have to be up around 4am to head out to shoot more. I'll be checking this post as soon as I return.

Thanks again, Jeff.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 26, 2005 at 8:31:35 am

Ok, I just started up FCP 4.5 to make sure I've given you the right setting info because I was working in OS9 before and was giving you info from memory. Apparently my memory was somewhat lacking.

Here's the workpath I use in FCP 4.5 for the same thing you're doing in FCP 5:

Since you're working with 24pA footage your capture preset should be DV NTSC Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal Anamorphic. Trouble is, there's no standard preset that contains both 24pA AND Anamorphic. So.......you go to the FCP menu and choose Audio/Video settings. In the setup window click on capture presets and highlight DV NTSC Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal from the list. Then you click on "edit" at the bottom to add the anamorphic addition to your preset from the Capture Preset Editor window that comes up. Just check the Anamorphic box right beside where it says DV NTSC 3:2. Save this as your custom preset. Then in the Log and Capture window go to capture settings just to double-check that it's going to use your newly created capture setting and start your capture.

Once you've done that go to the sequence menu and click on "settings". In the window that appears this is where you check the Anamorphic box for the timeline. Rmember that this is for FCP 4.5 and not FCP 5. I've done it this way and so far everything has worked out great and I also have an XL2. The settings in FCP 5 must be very similar to the set up in FCP 4.5. I made a couple of mistakes in my previous posts to you that sent you off on the wrong quest and for that I appologize. I should have had FCP running when I was initially responding to you. Good luck and I hope I've been able to help you finally.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]