FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL1S Time lapse

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
XL1S Time lapse
on Jun 25, 2005 at 4:07:43 pm

Hi all...can someone provide me with the time lapse options in the XL1S? I'm looking for what settings you have...I really want to know if it will record a single frame for each time increment, or if it is limited to say 1 second. Also, how many different increment settings are there...like every 1 minute, every 10 minutes, every 30 minutes etc.

Thanks all,

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: XL1S Time lapse
on Jun 27, 2005 at 4:04:43 pm

In general, prosumer camcorders (or nearly ANY camcorder) cannot perform single-frame timelapse due to the complexities of internal editing accuracy issues.
While a FILM timelapse would reveal as "smooth" right out of the camera (after processing) without editing.
The prosumer camcorder's tape is NOT smooth right out of the camera. (i.e. Clouds will "jerk/stutter" through the sky at a high rate of speed with the RAW prosumer "timelapse".)

The better solution for shooting timelapse on VIDEO is to do the "RECORDING" on an outboard device rather than on the internal tape.

A common method is to connect the camera to a laptop via FireWire and run a computer program that can be set to record any number of frames at any increment you decide. (This can even work over a period of months if needed.

There are several programs to be found online that can do this.

Here's a link for one such (Mac) product:
http://www.bensoftware.com/

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: XL1S Time lapse
on Jun 28, 2005 at 1:34:40 am

Yes, but if a recorded duration was sped up by like 10000 percent or something like that and then you Strobed it so it was only playing single frames (have done it) it looks fine. I'm just curious to what Canon offers in the XL1S camera. I have a consumer Sony mini DV that works pretty good but is very limited in its settings.

Anyone Else?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]