FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL2 and EF Adapter???? Has anyone....

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Newton
XL2 and EF Adapter???? Has anyone....
on Jun 5, 2005 at 5:22:14 am

Hello, I am going into production on my second music video within the next month and I am very interested in seeing if anyone here has worked with the XL2 using an EF Adapter. Ive read about it and have been interested but was very happy with my 3X Wide Angle/Anamorphic lens and the 20X that came in the package.

That is...of course...until I saw a music video online that was shot with it and I was blown away. It looked like it was shot on film. (Their music video was shot in 24P) I am also shooting my videos in 24P.

I am currently in post on my first video and I am very happy with the quality but...I would love to get some feedback/advise.

The one thing I am concerned about is the 5X magnifier that I have read about. Being a photographer I love being close to my subject. I dont want to have to shoot very far away all the time just to get a close up with someone.

I apologize about the length...I think I am going to try and rent it somewhere but it's always nice to hear it from someone who's been there already.

Thank you for any input. Jeff.

http://www.jeffnewton.com

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: XL2 and EF Adapter???? Has anyone....
on Jun 6, 2005 at 1:06:28 pm

I own an EF Adapter, what would you like to know?
Also, what music video are you talking about,
and what about the video gives the impression that it has the look of film?

Return to posts index

Jeff Newton
on Jun 7, 2005 at 1:00:21 am

http://mvwire.com/dynamic/article_view.asp?AID=11120

There is the link to the story on the Music Video that I am talking about.
If you look at the video it's the warmth in the tones of the colors...which could always be done in post but that also has a lot to do with being able to control the amount of artifical/ambient light and know how to combine them...i would think that using a EF lens with full manual control would give you more of that...
The other thing that I liked about the video is the beautiful depth of field...it looked like something I could have got from my Hasselblad.

How has your experience been with the EF Adapter thus far. Have you ever done a comparison with ones of the lenses that come with the XL cameras...of have you been able to notice the difference if you switch between the two formats.

Also...and I feel most importantly...how does the conversion factor affect the way you shoot. It seems like you would almost only be able to shoot with wide angle lenses to make it happen. For me I want to know that I can frame a good close up of someone and not have to be 20 feet back from them to make it happen.
That is the one thing that I love about the 3x anamorphic lens is that it is so beautifully wide and that I can get so close to people and not lose that connection with my subject.

Thanks for the reply and offering your help.

Have a good day, Jeff.

http://www.jeffnewton.com

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 7, 2005 at 1:47:41 pm

I was not able to view the video, but in the story there was no mention of using the Canon EF adapter.
The trend for shooting music videos when the budget won't allow for 35mm,
is to rent something along the lines of the P+S Technik Mini35, along with say a couple of Cooke S4 prime lenses
to give a 35mm style depth of field to the shoot.
Using the Canon EF adapter with it's 7x multiplication factor does not look the same.

[Jeff Newton] "would think that using a EF lens with full manual control would give you more of that"

Then again, you can switch your current XL2 lens into manual.

By the way, the Canon 3x lens is not an anamorphic lens.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Jun 9, 2005 at 3:21:56 pm

[David Jones] "Using the Canon EF adapter with it's 7x multiplication factor does not look the same."

I'm just an interested lurker here, but I don't THINK you two are discussing the same ITEM.

Here's a link to what I (and Google) call the "Canon EF Adapter":

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/9984602/prd/15384786/ccsyn/260

It appears to be exactly what you'd need to attach "35mm lenses" to a Canon XL2 (or XL2).
There's no mention of a "7x magnification".

Could you be talking about a Canon WA (wide angle) adapter with a .7 magnification?
(I do own one of those.)

Or... am I just missing this whole discussion due to my declining sanity from working too long in the field of video production?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 10, 2005 at 10:37:40 pm

Yes we are discussing the same item.
From the EF adapter Manual... "When an EF lens for 35 mm is mounted on a 1/3inch CCD image sensor camcorder, the focal length will increase by 7.2 times (in 35mm equivalent)."

Return to posts index

Stephen Sanchez
on May 5, 2010 at 3:10:57 pm

I have a question about the EF adaptor.
I'm looking to get Prime lenses for the XL2, but I dont want the "Electro Focus" rings that spin forever and are speed sensitive like the XL stock lens. I want all manual primes. Would the EF adaptor allow for that? Or would I have to get a PL mount instead? AND, which one would be better in your opinion, diversity wise?

Thanks
-Stephen

e-mail me if you'd like

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]