FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL1 input question

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zac bolinger
XL1 input question
on May 17, 2005 at 5:18:19 pm

i have a canon XL1 and i have a situation at work that i need help with. I am at a medical facility and need to hook up the camera to a fluoroscope machine to record the movement of the surgical instrument. Problem is the XL1 does not accept input from a source such as a VCR or Monitor. What is the best work around for this? Currently i have to record with a vcr and then dupe to dv and bring it in that way, which is a lot of work. Are there any ways to use this camera for this situation?

Return to posts index

16:9
Re: XL1 input question
by
on May 17, 2005 at 6:54:48 pm

I don't own an XL1 but if your camera has a Firewire INPUT then you can use another cheap camera (my Elura80 can do it) to convert the VCR signal to DV and then input the signal to your XL1. But that`s kinda stupid since you can capture with the first camera directly. you don

Return to posts index

David Jones
on May 17, 2005 at 6:54:52 pm

Why not connect the video output of the device in question
to one of the video inputs "composit or S-video" of the Canon XL1.
Then turn the XL1's operation dial to VCR, then roll to record.

Return to posts index

zac bolinger
on May 17, 2005 at 7:53:47 pm

i have tried that before and it doesn't work. Canon disables this feature to prevent people from duping tapes on 3 ccd chip cameras. That is why i keep running into this problem. I will try it again to make sure, but i know i have tried this with a vcr before and i get no pass through.

Return to posts index

Bill Powers
on May 17, 2005 at 8:09:02 pm

Zac,

The specification sheet for the XL1s indicates that it accepts a composite video and an S-VHS signal. You might try the inputs using something other than the fluoroscope. It has been my experience that lots of medical equipment has a funny sync signal. It's not set at 15.75 Khz. That way the manufacturer gets to sell more stuff.

Bill

Return to posts index

David Jones
on May 18, 2005 at 1:56:57 am

[zac bolinger] "Canon disables this feature to prevent people from duping tapes on 3 ccd chip cameras"
It works just fine on our Canon!

Return to posts index

Matte
on May 18, 2005 at 12:03:34 pm

[zac bolinger] "Canon disables this feature to prevent people from duping tapes on 3 ccd chip cameras."

What an odd thing to post.

Why would you think Canon would not want tapes "duped" on 3CCD camcorders (the CCD's are in no way involved in this process, and the "electronic sections" that ARE are virtually identical in ALL Canon miniDV camcorders)?

Any 3CCD Canon camcorder that HAS this (Analog-in) feature (GL1, GL2, XL1, etc.) works just fine from a "standard" NTSC source.
If its not working, I'd suspect (as do others) that the source is not a "standard" NTSC signal.

Return to posts index

zac bolinger
on May 18, 2005 at 12:10:41 pm

That is the reply i got from Canon on this issue. Sorry you think it is a odd post. That is why i posted in here to see if someone(anyone) had successfully used the camera to record through s-video. I was surprised because the Gl1 lets you do it. I asked the man at Canon why the lower version of a camera has feature that the high end camera has and he gave me the 3 ccd answer. I am just relaying what i have been told by Canon. Sounds like it is possible i just need to try a few different inputs.

Return to posts index

Matte
on May 18, 2005 at 12:29:08 pm

[zac bolinger] "I was surprised because the Gl1 lets you do it. I asked the man at Canon why the lower version of a camera has feature that the high end camera has and he gave me the 3 ccd answer."

That is why I said it was "odd"... the GL1 IS a 3CCD camcorder.
Its always wise to take with a "grain of salt" anything someone on the other end of a telephone (or on a bulletin board) just "SAYS".
You need to filter it through logic and experience.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 18, 2005 at 5:28:20 pm

Zac,

I just downloaded the XL1 manual from the Canon website to have a look at the VCR recording buttons. It's set up exactly like any other Canon. In order to record from a video source you have to have the camera in VCR (playback) mode. Then flip open the door on the top of the handle and hit the record button. That's why it's there: so you can record from another source. Whoever told you that this feature is disabled on the XL1 has some sort of hidden agenda going on.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]