FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon GL2 Outdoor Shooting... Please Help

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adguy31
Canon GL2 Outdoor Shooting... Please Help
on May 16, 2005 at 7:30:18 am

Hi all,

I am working on a new video project and, thank God, I have had some time to practice a little before the big day (May 28th). I am used to shooting with this in a VERY controlled environment with lighting and sound, etc. The problem is this...

I have white balance and warm balance cards and ALWAYS white balance before each shoot, I employ the ND filter and shoot in manual mode/frame. The shutter speed and f-stop settings are what puzzle me. As I am trying to stay below the 100 IRE settings for broadcast and am recording to DVCAM with my DSR-45 but cannot seem to find the right balance... especially with reds!!! I know I can use Combustion or AE Pro to color correct but will not have an incredible amount of time in post. I have had this problem once before when shooting a wedding for a friend and the red in the "EXIT" sign in the church was so much more bold and awkward looking than all of the other colors. I am just trying to find out how best to shoot outdoors and get a good color balance. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Seth

wordtoyomutha

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Canon GL2 Outdoor Shooting... Please Help
on May 16, 2005 at 5:51:17 pm

The GL2 colour balance seems to be inclined more to the reds at the best of times, at least on mine, and especially when the picture has underexposed areas. You'll notice indoors when you underexpose that peoples' faces get a lot redder than they actually are, even with a manual white balance. What I did is to go into the custom preset menu and change the colour gain 3 ticks to the left of centre, then change the colour phase 2 ticks into the greens (left) from centre. Try that and see what your picture looks like. The reds should look more 'normal' now after a man. white balance. Curiously enough, if you also increase the sharpness level by one increment that also seems to help create a more 'normal' looking colour balance.

Once you're done make sure you activate the custom preset button. You'll see the "CP" in the viewfinder when activated. Hope this helps.

- Don

Return to posts index

adguy31
on May 17, 2005 at 2:12:38 am

Don,

I tried what you stated and... WOW! What a difference! This is exactly the problem I was having and this fixed it. Thank you for the advice. I have set this as my CP now and will use this from now on. I wish I would have known this prior to shooting but better late than never. This is the kind of stuff you don't find in the manuals. Take care.

Seth

wordtoyomutha

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 17, 2005 at 3:47:20 am

Glad I was able to help. Good Shooting.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]