FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL2 tape issue with Sony DSR-11

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian wittman
XL2 tape issue with Sony DSR-11
on May 10, 2005 at 8:57:04 pm

When viewing and capturing Sony Premium miniDV tape shot with Canon XL2 camera - looks terrific. When using Sony DSR-11 deck to view and capture I get pixelation "pixie dust" through the footage. When using another tape (Panasonic) everything seems OK. A friend of mine suggested it was the tape's emulsion and that a roll through the heads should clear it up. It hasn't. Note: all things out of box new so wear is not the issue. Any ideas? HELP!!!

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: XL2 tape issue with Sony DSR-11
on May 10, 2005 at 10:41:35 pm

Sony is a wet style tape,
Panasonic tape is manufactured by Fuji which is a dry style.
Try cleaning the heads and see if it will play OK.

Return to posts index

brian wittman
on May 10, 2005 at 11:01:47 pm

tried that - still ng. Thanks for your reply... any other ideas. Perhaps just use dry-type tapes and dupe the Sony tapes to dry media?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 11, 2005 at 4:34:10 am

Brian,

I would assume that Sony Mini DV tapes would be compatible with their own decks. Sounds like it may be a tracking problem on that one Sony tape. Try recording some test footage on another Sony tape and go through the workpath process again and see if the problems go away or are duplicated. In the meantime, since you stated the sony tape will play back fine with the XL2 you can use your camera as a deck and get your footage on to your computer via firewire OR put a new tape in the DSR-11 and hook the XL2 to that for the transfer.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]