FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL1 has black borders?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan
XL1 has black borders?
on May 8, 2005 at 7:59:37 am

A new client has given me his tapes shot on a Canon XL1 A(NTSC) in widescreen 16x9 mode. All the tapes are playing back with a thin black vertical border on the left on right edges of the frame. The video also has some vertical rippling (wavy) that is random and subtle. Anyone know what is causing this? I have never used this camera before and never captured from one. I am using Sony Vegas 6a with its firewire capture utility. The client's previous captures on another PC system also showed these problems. Is it normal with this camera or did they shoot with some settings being wrong? I wasn't on the shoot.

I don't want to capture 26 tapes the wrong way if this can be corrected first,

Dylan

Return to posts index

Dylan
Re: XL1 has black borders?
on May 8, 2005 at 10:29:12 am

If I use the 16:9 Pan/Crop preset in the timeline event in Sony Vegas, the black borders go away on the sides, but the the subtle vertical rippling is still there. I need some help in setting up a proper workflow for edting DV footage shot with an XL1 in widescreen. I am also using a project setup in Vegas which is DV NTSC Widescreen, 720x480, 29.97, 1.2121 Aspect Ratio.

The best picture I have seen so far is if I use a normal DV NTSC setup with a .9091 aspect ratio and then use the pan/crop to squeeze the vertical sizing back down forming a letterbox look.

I have the feeling that the vertical rippling is from streching out sideways when using widescreen settings and it looks better (to me) resizing vertically like I mentioned. Where am I going wrong (or right) here?

Any help is appreciated.

Dylan

Return to posts index

Alexander
on May 9, 2005 at 1:06:40 pm

Dylan,
These black borders are in the overscan areas for Canon cameras.
You will see them in your NLE system, but TV crops these out. Set normal presets if the delivery is via TV.
Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Dylan
on May 9, 2005 at 9:19:33 pm

Alexander,

Thanks for the reply. I would think that it should at least fill up the full 720 pixels width of DV. DVD movies made for computers screens show full screen. It only records 704 pixels wide. I can easily crop it, but it then stretches to fill the 720 frame and I am concerned with the rippliung wavy look on verticals. Especially when the camera zooms and pans. It's a washboard effect.

I did research the camera yesterday and found mnay sites describing problems with this camera and using these widescreen modes. They all say not to shoot in widescreen becuase it uses 4:3 chips and crops the top and bottom with a lower rez result.

I wasn't on the shoot and I now need to edit all these tapes for a client and make it look the best I can. They want to finish on DVD, DV tape and VHS tape. They talk about possibly going to film, but I can't see how this low quality can be blown up to film.

Dylan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]