FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you disable power-save?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Courtney
Can you disable power-save?
on Apr 29, 2005 at 11:34:00 pm

Hello,

First time poster, so I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything about my specific problem in the keyword search, and I haven't found any answers in the manual or on the web.

I have a question. Is there a way to disable the power-save mode for the XL-1 and/or the XL-1s?

Here's the situation. We were using three Canons (2 XL-1, and an XL-1s) for a multi-camera shoot of an off-site-meeting. We were running the video-outs through a Panasonic MX-50, doing a 'live-to-tape' edit for speedy turnaround to air once we got back to the station. We set everything up, and the cameras were all humming along merrily for about 45 minutes, then they all started going into power-save mode. After that, they went into power-save mode every five minutes or so. (Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it sure seemed like there was a huge delay before they started shutting off so regularly.) All three cameras were operating via power-strips, i.e., not on battery-power. Fortunately, this all happened before the meeting started, so I was able to (feverishly) come up with a work-around, which was to run tape in the cameras on 'record', so they had 'something to do' while we were using their out-going video signals. It worked in this case, but I'm concerned what might happen if the meeting was longer than the 80-odd minutes that LP recording would allow.

Basically, my life would have been a lot easier if I could just turn off the darn power-save "feature", and just let the camera do its job. At the very least, I wouldn't have burned through three brand-new pieces of tape stock, (which I'm deeply glad I happened to have with me).

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

Steve Courtney
Editor/Videographer
Foster City TV
Foster City, CA

Return to posts index

Luis Guerrero
Re: Can you disable power-save?
on May 2, 2005 at 8:35:36 pm

See if this works.

Turn the camera on.
Press Menu
Use the iris scroll wheel to scroll down to VCR Set Up.
Push the iris scroll wheel in once you have higlighted the VCR Set Up option.
Scroll down to Power Save and press the iris scroll wheel.
You should now have two options. You probably want VCR Stop rather than Shut Off.
Press Menu to exit the menu screen.

I don't know why the cameras took so long to shut down.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
Re: Can you disable power-save?
on May 3, 2005 at 4:10:19 am

try removing the tape - on the XL1 you can just leave the interior tape door open and close the outer one

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]