FORUMS: list search recent posts

firewire+ intercom for multicamera operation

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly K. Marcott
firewire+ intercom for multicamera operation
on Apr 8, 2005 at 10:19:07 pm

Hi.
First off, I apologize if this is not the right forum for this question, but it seems to be the most applicable I can find.
I saw an ad in a video magazine for a cable/or module box that would allow you to take video/audio out of your DV camera and also allow for headset communication at the same time. I'm not sure if this was using the RCA connections or firewire, but it basically allowed you to use dv cameras in live multi camera set ups.
has anyone heard of this?
If it's using firewire, isn't there a short maximum cable run do to voltage drop?
thanks in advance.
K

Return to posts index

Bob Hudson
Re: firewire+ intercom for multicamera operation
on Apr 8, 2005 at 10:50:57 pm

I know the system you're talking about: it's the sprint DV - http://www.unitcine.com/sprint/ - $1295 per camera and uses analog video, which is fine for a live shoot when you're feeding things into a mixer (they feed everything through Ethernet cable).

If you can't justify that cost, you can do it for about $75 per camera:

I have done multi-camera shoots with DV camcorders and we basically just used the longest s-video cables we could find. A 100' s-video cable is less than $US50 and for intercoms, about $50 buys you a pair of those little FRS radios with VOX (voice operated transmit, so you don't need to push buttons to talk).

Bob Hudson
Consultant & Writer
Video, DVD and
Multimedia Production
Overland Park, Kansas USA
http://www.bobhudson.com/

Return to posts index

Kelly K. Marcott
Re: firewire+ intercom for multicamera operation
on Apr 11, 2005 at 6:47:38 pm

Thanks Bob,
That is the system I read about. Kinda pricy..lol. I guess for now, we'll just stick with the wireless Radio shack headsets.
Thanks again.
Cheers!
Kelly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]