FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Burn DVD at 4x

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Douglas Gerlach
Can't Burn DVD at 4x
on Sep 15, 2017 at 8:11:49 pm

I've been using an LG DVD writer to author my DVD masters at 4x using Nero Burning Rom installed on a Windows 7 computer. After about six years of use, the writer died and I replaced it with a brand new LG writer but the slowest speed Nero is showing me is 8x. I've been using Nero 9 so I went ahead and downloaded the trial version of Nero 2017 and got the same results. I then went out and bought several other writers and found a couple that would go down to 6x; the others only went down to 8x.

So I have a couple of questions...

1. Why isn't Nero letting me burn at 4x? (I've also posted on the Nero forum)

2. Over the years I've always been told to burn DVD masters at 4x to ensure a deeper burn with less errors. Is it OK if I started burning the masters at 6x?

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
Re: Can't Burn DVD at 4x
on Sep 15, 2017 at 10:10:19 pm

[Douglas Gerlach] "2. Over the years I've always been told to burn DVD masters at 4x to ensure a deeper burn with less errors. Is it OK if I started burning the masters at 6x?
"

There's your problem, that statement is incorrect, in fact lower speeds are more accurate.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Douglas Gerlach
on Sep 16, 2017 at 12:12:14 am

I fully understand that slower speeds are more accurate. That's why I've always burned at 4x, the slowest my previous burner would write. So you're saying I should burn even slower than 4X?

Since I cannot burn at 4x, I'm asking if 6x would be OK.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 16, 2017 at 5:52:28 am

What is your m2v encoding software, type and rate?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Douglas Gerlach
on Sep 16, 2017 at 2:01:42 pm

I've been using TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works. The bitrate varies widely depending on program length. The new LG burner will only go down to 6x on both long running DVDs and short DVDs so the bitrate has nothing to do with it. I posted on the Nero forum and someone replied that the burn speed is determined by the firmware of the burner.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 18, 2017 at 4:08:36 pm

Hi Douglas,

Ask yourself a question. If burning a disc at 8x, or 12x, or 16x meant that it would be unreliable....WHY would the manufacturer of the media and burners even offer the higher speeds?? Consumers losing data would be unhappy consumers, right?

I used to burn a lot of DVDs myself (dozens to hundreds per job), had a 1x7 duplication tower. I would try to burn the "master" at 1x to make sure it was "the best", then the copies burned at whatever speed the machine wanted to burn. But guess what I found over the years? All the copies burned at 16x were 100% reliable!! Using top-grade media of course.

So what I'm saying is lose the old-school mentality. If the slowest you can burn is 6x or 8x, so what? Why is that an issue? It's not 2008.

Once I stopped worrying about, my life got a lot better 😉

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 19, 2017 at 1:21:24 am

Doug, what brand media are you using?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Douglas Gerlach
on Sep 20, 2017 at 2:08:04 pm

I've used FalconMedia Pro DVDs for years with zero problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]