COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
DVDSP 4.2.2 freezes Muxing Menu Language
on Mar 27, 2017 at 12:22:01 am
Last Edited By Alan Langdon on Mar 27, 2017 at 12:43:16 pm

Mavericks 10.9.5 2GHZ i7 Dual Core
DVDSP 4.2.2

I created a DVD, which will take up a 8.5 GB DualLayer DVD. There are 5 menus, all static, with PSD (flat) in the background, and PSD (flat) as overlays. No music, no subtitles, and didn't do any messing with Languages for any menus or the disk itself, just generic DVD project with these menus and about 20 video tracks (some 16:9, some 4:3).

When I send it to build, it freezes upon "Muxing Menu 1 language"... I've tried building to different drives.
When I delete the first Menu, supposedly the problematic one, the same crash happens with the build.
I have trashed the prefs, as well as the MPEG2 PAR folders.

Here seems to lay the answer:
When I start afresh, and just add one Menu and one track, I have no issues. When I ad a second menu, reached via a button in menu 1, all good too. The issue happens as soon as I ad the overlay image to Menu 2, it being the same type used for Menu 1 (flat PSDs). I have tried exporting TIF from Photoshop, same issue happens. JPEG as well!

I have tried changing the background and overlay graphics from flat PSD to TIFF, and also tried opening the project (and also starting new ones with similar Main Menu > SubMenu structure) in the same version of DVDSP but on a mac running El Capitan, and the same issue comes up. When I installed from scratch DVDSP on my wife's 2011 macbook pro it still happens... I presume there must be some issue with the program that generated the GFX (Photoshop CS6)?

This is very strange, I have authored more than 30 DVDs in the last 15 years, all using DVDSP, most of them more complex than this one.

Going crazy here, such a simple project, but have to deliver this in less than 12 hours...! What can be happening?

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
Re: DVDSP 4.2.2 freezes Muxing Menu Language
on Mar 27, 2017 at 12:46:06 pm

OK, time is running out and I have done a work-around, just to get the job done: I am using the DVDSP button text feature to create the highlights for buttons. I usually do not like this method, due to resolution issues, but it will have to do for this job. For in the long term, I guess this experience brings me to the obvious conclusion that DVDSP is dead, no longer fully compatible with newer versions of Quicktime, Mac OS, Photoshop, what be it...
If anyone knows what might have been the issue, or indicate a solution, I am still interested, since here in Brazil DVD authoring still is requested by clients.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Mar 29, 2017 at 12:53:33 pm

Use "Motion" to create your menus

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Aug 2, 2017 at 10:38:15 pm

Alan,
My first opinion is that you're falling victim to the gradual incompatibility of DVDSP with later OSes. Please see my post in this forum for a few workarounds and lessons I've learned while running DVDSP on Mavericks, El Capitan, and now Sierra.

I, too, continue to get many requests for DVDs. DVDs certainly are not dead in the real world!

Christopher Smith

CBN International

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]