FORUMS: list search recent posts

Next button freezes the video on DVD player

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aroma Charummood
Next button freezes the video on DVD player
on Mar 23, 2017 at 6:27:04 am

Hi,
I made a DVD (Video) of 13 Video files, 3 short WMV's and 10 long MP4's. So, a total of 13 titles without any chapters. Total duration comes around 4 hours 40 mins. Total file size: 3.7GB. The disk type is DVD-5 with 4.7GB capacity. And the DVD burning sotware is Nero.

I burnt a DVD with these files and tried to play on a DVD player. But now, I'm encountering a problem with the NEXT button on the DVD player.
  • In the beginning, one or two presses of the NEXT button on the DVD player remote control, works fine. It easily takes me to the next title.
  • But after that, the video freezes and the forces the DVD player either to power off automatically or restart from automatically from the beginning title.
  • Or else, if I try to watch the whole DVD continuously; undisturbed, without pressing any other buttons, the video plays only till about half of the total duration and then either switches off the player or restarts from Title-1.

I don't know what to do... Somebody please help me... my clients are waiting...

David.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
    Re: Next button freezes the video on DVD player
    on Mar 23, 2017 at 8:59:45 pm

Hi David,

First off, 4+ hours of video is way too much content for a 4.7GB disc. Will be very highly compressed and just can't look very good. 2 hours is suggested maximum, though I have pushed it to 2.5 hours on occasion, but only using special software and methods to tweak quality.

Next, you will find that the majority of users here are "video professionals" so you may not find anyone fluent in using Nero which is more of a consumer commodity software. Maybe check over at videohelp.com and get better results.

Not trying to blow you off, but there are a million possibilities as to why a DVD will malfunction, and unless we know every detail of the workflow you used, screen shots of how you set up the software, etc. - who knows why it doesn't work? Could be anything at all really.

A lot of folks use Adobe Encore for DVD and when they get an odd glitch like you have and it does not appear to be user-error, sometimes just starting over fixes it. Could be the software and you didn't do anything wrong.

I'll say that in my general experience, throwing all kinds of different formats at a DVD is never a good idea. I always encode to MPEG-2 DVD format first, then use the resulting assets in Encore because they are DVD-compliant and will not need any further conversion in the authoring software. MPEG-2 is the only kind of video that can be on a finished DVD, so anything else just gets converted either way.

These .wmv and .mp4 files - what is the resolution and frame rate of each? Do they even match? Might be better off to put them all into some editing software together, export as MPEG-2 DVD, then put that proper file into Nero.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
    on Mar 26, 2017 at 9:54:36 am

Which authoring software are you using?

Cheers
    Alexander

Return to posts index

Chris Sebes
    on Jun 16, 2017 at 5:32:10 pm

Make sure the End task of the video it's crashing from is properly designated to do something. You may also want to try to delete and reimport the two potentially-offending videos into the authoring environment or re-encode them.

But I do agree with Jeff. That's A LOT of video to cram into that DVD. And you're not even using the full capacity of the disc. The quality will suffer, but I don't see why it would crash the player.

Chris Sebes
    Senior Video Editor
    http://www.MediaMixStudios.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]