FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jerky HD Video DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hanser
Jerky HD Video DVD
on Dec 6, 2016 at 3:19:59 pm

How about THAT for a subject line? 😉

I just finished burning an HD video DVD using Roxio Toast. The source file was a 5.5 Gb .mkv file, which plays back fine.

However, my disk plays back with a somewhat jerky motion. What happened?

Is there a setting I overlooked? A difference in the frame rate conversion? Progressive scan or interlaced scan method?

The audio and overall video quality look remarkably good in the HD disk I burned, but the playback is...jerky, not smooth.

Thanks!

Thomas Hanser
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
Re: Jerky HD Video DVD
on Dec 7, 2016 at 8:33:22 am

HD DVD is a dead format

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 8, 2016 at 3:06:08 pm

Hi Thomas,

Honestly, I don't even know what a "HD video DVD" is. You've created some sort of Frankenstein disc.

A "DVD" is by definition Standard Definition only - there is no "HD DVD". That would be a Blu-ray disc then. Different media altogether.

Really, you have simply burned a video file to DVD-R as data is my guess. That is not a "DVD" at all in the regular sense of the word (must use MPEG-2, as .vob files, it's all part of a spec).

Where are you playing this? A standard set-top DVD player should not even play this, though I have seen some of the Chinese-brand DVD players that are more like "media players" and will play a range of formats on disc that do not meet the official DVD specification.

We'd need more info to even begin helping.

What were the source video specs?
What encoding settings did you use to export?
On what device are you viewing the "disc"?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 8, 2016 at 3:09:41 pm

I will add that what a lot of folks are doing these days is to simply create an .mp4 file (H.264) and put it on a USB thumb drive. Should play on most TVs as they have USB ports now, as do many/most newer Blu-ray and DVD players. Plug and Play.

If making a disc that you wish to share with others, then you need to go with a standard they can play on their equipment reliably, meaning a properly authored DVD or Blu-ray disc. Otherwise the ".mp4 on a stick" is pretty standard.

If the "disc" is for yourself only, then that's up to you to create whatever might suit your needs.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Thomas Hanser
on Dec 11, 2016 at 4:49:39 am

Hi, Jeff, and thanks for your reply.

>Honestly, I don't even know what a "HD video DVD" is. You've created some sort of Frankenstein disc.

The HD DVD disk I burned was created in Roxio Toast 12. I selected "HD DVD (Blu Ray) from the options menu. The resulting disk played fine in a newer Sony Blu Ray DVD player, but resulted in jerky playback. This isn't simply a video file burned (as data) to a DVD disk, it's converted using Roxio Toast. The folder structure on the disk confirms this.

As for playing an .MP4 file on a USB stick, I just tried this using a Samsung 58" plasma TV, approximately 5 years old. Nothing! No supported device found, or something like that. When I first insert the USB drive it flashes momentarily, but after that, nothing.

I'd like to learn more about playing MP4 files on a TV. If there's more than one file on the USB stick, how does the TV allow you to select which file to play?

Thanks again.

Thomas Hanser
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 13, 2016 at 3:12:39 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for clarifying - Roxio then has it wrong in calling Blu-ray an "HD DVD" disc. It's called Blu-ray. Period. As mentioned earlier, DVD is an official specification, and "HD" is not a part of it. Sorry for my confusion.

I don't have a lot of experience with putting files on USB sticks to play on the TV. I just know that it's possible. What formatting is used on the stick? FAT-32, Ex-FAT, NTFS?

If there are multiple files on a USB stick, the TV/player should have an on-screen menu allowing you to choose which one to play, using your remote.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Thomas Hanser
on Dec 21, 2016 at 10:10:26 pm

Still trying to get an MP4 (h264/AAC) video file to play from a USB stick formatted using ExFAT.

Same with .mkv file format - a Samsung smart TV won't recognize the files.

Every search result suggests I download some video conversion software utility - why??? What will this specific software do that my current video conversion tool won't?

When I insert the USB stick the TV recognizes that "media" has been detected, then I select YES to access the Media Menu. Then, nothing else happens. The TV just can't read the video files.

I don't see when I have buy another media converter tool - I have plenty already. I can render an MP4 file from After Effects, Premiere, Media Encoder, Handbrake and FCP X.

Any suggestions?

Why is it so hard to get a simple video file to play on a Samsung smart TV, one year old?

Thanks again.

Thomas Hanser
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Dec 21, 2016 at 11:31:09 pm

The TV is not a complete operating system cf a computer

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 22, 2016 at 2:39:33 pm

Perhaps try formatting USB stick as FAT32 or NTFS once and see if that might work. Maybe ExFat is not supported?

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]