FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to put a DVD onto USB and retain DVD menu?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Duffield
How to put a DVD onto USB and retain DVD menu?
on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:14:12 am

Hi everyone,

This is urgent if anyone is reading this and they know the answer.

I have DVD Architect (6 I think, whatever comes with the latest Pro) and Sony Vegas Pro 13. I have one long rendered clip in Vegas with chapter markers. I've explained they can watch and press 'next chapter' if they want to get to the next one. Each chapter has a title page.

However, they want to make bulk copies and would like to distribute on usb. They want a DVD with a menu for people to choose the chapters. I know how to make these - I make them all the time - BUT only burn to DVD. Can it be burned to USB? If so, I'm presuming that 'takes over' the usb and it can't be used to add other stuff? Correct? I'm trying to explain to them it's much more expensive that way however I see their point, not everyone has a DVD player.

I know it can be done by copying the 'folder' i.e. having an audio and video folder however this has to be simple and not require anyone to download any particular media players or software. They just need to plug it in and play it like it's a DVD movie but on a usb. Otherwise people just can't figure stuff out (or don't want to).

Another question whilst I'm in the Architect forum, I can't figure out how to make each chapter default back to the menu when finished. Each time I make a DVD, the end of chapter flows onto the next chapter. I can't find the setting where I tell Architect to return to main menu after each chapter.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

reko tomo
Re: How to put a DVD onto USB and retain DVD menu?
on Jun 25, 2016 at 5:36:37 pm

You wrote :
I know it can be done by copying the 'folder' i.e. having an audio and video folder however this has to be simple and not require anyone to download any particular media players or software. They just need to plug it in and play it like it's a DVD movie but on a usb. Otherwise people just can't figure stuff out (or don't want to).

My question :
1. to where are they going to plug the USB stick ?
2. with what are they going to press the "Play" button ?

If they are going to plug it into the computer's USB hole, I think they need a media player where they can press the Play button or to navigate to what button they want to press.

If they are going to plug it into the TV's USB hole, then the TV itself must recognized that the inserted USB stick is a movie in DVD format. But I don't think there is a TV that has a feature just like a standalone DVD player where we can navigate in one display, can choose the buttons provided.

As long as I know, if they plug the USB stick into the computer's USB hole... most computer has it's own Media Player. For example, Window's OS has it's own default Media Player (WMP).
With the assumption that you just copy the AUDIO TS and VIDEO TS folder to the USB stick, after they plug it into the computer's USB hole - then they need to launch whatever the Media Player which is in their computer. Too bad I don't have WMP but MPC-HC. So I'm not sure if WMP has the feature "play from folder" although I think it should has that feature.

As in my condition, after I launch MPC-HC - I can do "open directory" then MPC-HC automatically recognized that the files in that directory is DVD format. The result, MPC-HC display the menu and I can navigate the buttons within that menu.

Other way :
1. After plug the USB stick, the user have to open it and double click the "VIDEO_TS.IFO" file.
Depending how their computer setup, usually it will automatically launch whatever Media Player they have in their computer.

2. I think it's possible to right click the VIDEO_TS folder and choose "Play with" from the menu context. But once again, this depends on how their computer setup.

3. Also I think it's also possible once the user plug the USB stick, their OS automatically recognized that the USB contains movie files then the OS launch a window something like "what do you want to do" ... with the option play with bla3x - open/browse it - do nothing.

Anyway, I think the user MUST have a Media Player in their computer. Except, you make a specific program that once the stick inserted it will launch a media player from within the USB stick (because they don't have any Media Player in their computer) - have this media player to launch the movie in the USB stick so then the user can just easily navigate the buttons from within "your" media player coming from the USB stick.

Just my thought :).

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on Jun 25, 2016 at 5:55:18 pm

You wrote :
Another question whilst I'm in the Architect forum, I can't figure out how to make each chapter default back to the menu when finished. Each time I make a DVD, the end of chapter flows onto the next chapter. I can't find the setting where I tell Architect to return to main menu after each chapter.

I'm sorry I never know about DVD-Architect.
But I think it will have a feature where it gives you the option after each chapter finish, it goes to "where".
Maybe you can try to find if Architect has "end action" on each chapter button you provided. You need to make button first on each chapter. Then put the "end action" of each chapter button link to whatever menu you want to display.

Those steps above I did it in DVD-Maestro.

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on Jun 25, 2016 at 6:48:43 pm

Amanda, this is me again.
I'm sorry I don't read well your post.

You wrote :
I have DVD Architect (6 I think, whatever comes with the latest Pro) and Sony Vegas Pro 13. I have one long rendered clip in Vegas with chapter markers. I've explained they can watch and press 'next chapter' if they want to get to the next one. Each chapter has a title page.

I don't think this will work with my steps I explain before.
Because once they press the "next chapter" it will goes to whatever menu you assigned within "end action" of each chapter button.

So, I think it won't be possible to have the condition like this :
1. If the user press next chapter it goes to the next one
2a. if the user doesn't do anything, once the running chapter finish - it goes back to the main menu.

Assuming that I myself is in this case, I will sacrifice the number 2, with the solution :
2b. If the user want to go back to the main menu, then he has to press the "root menu" button. (NOT "Title menu" button).
After he press the "root menu", the player display the Main Menu.

Number 2b I can do it within Maestro by link the "chapter menu key" in each chapter button.
IMHO, if finally you found that your Architect has the option "end action" in each chapter button - then I think it should have also the "chapter menu key" in each chapter button.

"Chapter menu key" in each chapter button is when the user (during any chapter that runs) press "root menu" it will bring him/her to whatever page we link during the authoring stage.

"end action" in each chapter button is when the user press "next" button OR don't do nothing which will bring him/her to whatever page we link during the authoring stage.

As you can see from the picture above, I don't link the "end action" on each chapter button BUT the last one.
I link the "menu key" button on each chapter button to whatever I want. In this case :
1. when the user is in the chapter-1 running, if he press the "root menu" it will bring him to Scene Selection page with button number-2 highlighted.
2. when the user is in the chapter-2 running, if he press the "root menu" it will bring him to the same Scene Selection page but this time with button number-3 highlighted.
3. And so on repeatedly.

Although I don't know whether Architect can do that, but I think your Architect has that feature.
I hope this can help you to figure-out about your case.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 27, 2016 at 3:07:20 pm

Hi Amanda,

If the end user will be putting the USB stick into a computer, the DVD files may work, but would require that the computer have software DVD player installed. For instance, the free VLC Media Player can play from an .iso file of a DVD disc for instance, and should be able to play DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder as well. But as the other poster noted, an HDTV is not going to work - they will be looking for an H.264 file most likely to work with the built-in media player in the TV. And you don't know what device they will be using or what software they have installed.

If delivering on USB, I would forget about DVD, since it is only SD resolution (lower quality) and uses old MPEG-2 encoding. H.264 is the way to go for digital delivery, with higher quality, smaller file sizes, and universal playback on most any device. I'm assuming you shot the source as HD?

The simplest solution is to just provide an .mp4 deliverable, however your client wants the menus. In that case, please check out this solution that will provide the HD quality and menus at the same time - http://www.lacolorpros.com/product/?TBX1-TakyBox-HTML5-Menu-Generator

I've not tried it myself, but sounds like it could be a great solution

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jun 28, 2016 at 1:54:04 pm

Thank you reko tomo and Jeff Pulera for your fantastic replies.

I appreciate you taking the time.

Jeff - you are close to what I want to do however I need to give a bit more information, wondering if you can advise a little more.

1) A staff member will make the video themselves - what they use is anybody's guess. Sometimes their iphone, sometimes an old camera they have at the office, sometimes their ipad, whatever.
2) They will upload to, say dropbox, and I will download and post caption.
3) In the past, once this was done, I would render it to a strip of footage that they can play, captioned, at one of our staff development days.
4) However, this time (and I'm sure many more times in the future), the person who videod this wants to make a 'kit' out of the information. So, I could make a DVD with menus however not everyone has a dvd player. So, staff member has asked me if I can make it on a usb but put menus on the usb.
5) Firstly, this is an expensive option because dvd's are so much cheaper however I'm not the bean counter so not my issue - I just have to say if it's possible.
6) I cannot guarantee what the person at the other end who will play this has, or will play it on, or what I.T. knowledge they have. My experience tells me that anything that says 'put the usb in', 'right click on VIDEOTS folder', click on 'play with', choose ... video player and if it's not there, download vlc etc etc etc. Generally, people ring me and say 'what the'? They have no idea, not even about vlc.
7) I had a look at takybox as suggested. However, it looks like I have to use their usb, which means I would have to buy multiples of the usb (I think?). Also, their latest version is a 'subscription' which I knowmy employer won't do.j

I'm thinking of saying it's not possible for our situation. Unless I'm missing something and there's an easy way for everybody, no matter what the IT knowledge and also, no matter what platform they use?

I doubt it would ever be played on a TV but can't say for sure. I imagine it would mostly be played on a usb.

So, best idea and video format is what I'm wondering. I really don't understand much about rendering but I do know that MPEG2 is the one thing everyone can play without complaint.

I hope that's not too much to post,

thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 28, 2016 at 2:12:39 pm

MPEG-2 is outdated and is pretty much only used for DVD these days. H.264 is the new "standard" because it can be played on PC, Mac, tablet, phone, TV with USB port, etc. And again, if you limit yourself to "DVD" type of delivery, that means STANDARD DEFINITION and this is an HD world now. SD sources don't look so great on bigger screens.

TakyBox does NOT require you to use special USB sticks. They do sell their own sticks that have WiFi for use with phones/tablets, but that is optional.

Also looking at TakyBox website, I don't see anything about a subscription, just "Buy $179".

I have never used the product myself, but have looked at what it offers and seems like a good solution. Was just reading that it can now be used with Vimeo for ONLINE video distribution with menus. Maybe that would work for your organization because then you don't have to buy or distribute USB sticks or DVDs! It would all be online for easy access. Does require a Vimeo account though, which has some monthly expense of course.

That's about all I can tell you

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:07:10 am

Thanks I have a copyright advisor/lawyer and also people who say yay or nay regarding privacy. I deal with footage of students and sometimes footage that has very particular copyright restrictions/exceptions. Neither advisor is happy with any 'external' online uploading like Vimeo.
If I choose upload and streaming, it must upload to our Departmental intranet which will only accept 50mb. My footage at the moment is 800 MB.
I will have another look at Takybox.

My next question will be about compressing. I have done many searches about compressing in Handbrake but my version (latest for PC as far as I can tell) does not look like the ones' pictured in my searches. It has some options but not others.
I do have Vegas 13 and Nero (10 or so) and , in the past John Rofrano has been very helpful in giving me some render settings.
However, I'm still not very familiar with rendering. Just don't have the concepts right.
So any advice on going from 800mb to 50mb for 30 mins? There's not really a need for huge quality in this instance, it's a teacher with face to screen and a student with back to screen. Sitting down, sound checks and questions where student points to pictures. It's about how to administer a test.
Captions are done and burned in.
It's too big for our intranet limit of 50mb.

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on Jun 28, 2016 at 5:20:39 pm

Hi Amanda,

If you will enough, maybe you can try to make interactive Flash movie then convert it to self contained executable file (.exe).
I don't know how to do it, but once I've received an exe file and when I double click it the video play in a Flash style.
Please try to do some search with something like "make video as executable file" or "make video as self playing exe file".

Most of them (some are provided as a free software in the internet) will not support menu.
But I think if you "author" your video as Flash, you can have menu (not exactly like DVD menu which has more features) then convert it to executable file. Please try to google about Interactive Flash video.

you wrote :
A staff member will make the video themselves - what they use is anybody's guess. Sometimes their iphone, sometimes an old camera they have at the office, sometimes their ipad, whatever.

For me, that's "terrifying" ... let alone if they give you the videos in multiple format :).

regards.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:08:07 am

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Yes, terrifying indeed! :)

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on Jun 29, 2016 at 4:50:37 pm

Hi Amanda,

Just found out a way from the internet which I hope it works for you.
From the internet info, I did this :

1. Download VLC portable (it's free), just google it.
2. Install this app to your USB stick.
3. After this installation, it will create a folder in your USB stick with a name "VLCPortable".
4. Copy your VIDEO_TS folder to this USB stick
5. Open Notepad and wrote this text :
start \VLCPortable\VLCPortable -vvv \video_ts\video_ts.ifo
6. In Notepad click FILE menu then choose SAVE
7a. Choose your USB stick root directory (mine is E:)
7b. Give the "File name" : PlayMovie.bat
7c. change the "Save as type" to : (*.*)
7d. click SAVE.

So now in your USB stick contains :
1. VIDEO_TS folder
2. VLCPortable folder
3. PlayMovie.bat

When you double-click the PlayMovie.bat, it will launch the VLCportable app and automatically display your DVD video first-play. I checked my DVD-movie played in this VLC player, all runs well and also the menu runs well.

I haven't tried to do these :
1. Copy all those 3 in the USB stick and paste to my hard-drive computer
2. Erase those 3 in the USB stick.
3. Copy the one in the hard-drive then paste it into the USB stick
4. Double click the PlayMovie.bat (the one in the USB stick).
5. See the result.

But I think it will work.
If it works so then you don't need to install the VLCPortable to each USB stick that you want to make, but just copy those 3 from your hard-drive computer to each new and blank USB stick.

I hope this way is a workaround for your case.

regards.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jun 30, 2016 at 8:31:38 am

thank you.
that sounds fantastic - I'll see how it goes.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 30, 2016 at 2:59:08 pm

reko tomo,

I feel silly for not thinking of this sooner, but your talk about Flash reminded me that Adobe Encore can export as Flash with DVD menus! Didn't think of it because I've never used it myself.

https://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/exporting-projects-flash-format.html

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1661112&seqNum=7

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 30, 2016 at 3:00:13 pm

Oops, Amanda doesn't have Encore, sorry...I spend a lot of time in Adobe forums and forgot where I was ;-)

Jeff

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:12:29 pm

Hi Jeff...

I did realize that Amanda use Architect.
That's why I wrote : "if you will enough", because it will takes strong will to "leave" Architect and then learn a new program :). But I hope the "VLCPortable" way is fit with Amanda's case and she still can do the authoring with Architect.

regards.

PS : sorry to be off topic...
I think you are skillful in Encore.
I wonder if you happen to know whether it's possible or not to do 4 color menu mapping in Encore ?
I open a thread about this question in this forum, still waiting for someone to explain me :).
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jul 1, 2016 at 10:22:41 am

No, sorry.
I don't know how to fix that one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]